Santander to Barcelona

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ernest

Santander to Barcelona

Post by ernest »

Has anybody cycled this route? If so what was it like? Am planning to do so in May.
whoof

Re: Santander to Barcelona

Post by whoof »

Which way are you planning to go? I've ridden from Bilbao, just up the road to Barcelona by going inland and then North into the Pyrenees and then riding their length to the Med and then down the coast.
robing

Post by robing »

I rode San Sebastian to Valencia last year. Don't know if that's similar to your route.
ernest

Post by ernest »

Sorry guys I should have been more explicit about my intended route. So here it is:
Reinosa
Miranda
Tudela
Zaragoza
Caspe
Reus
Barcelona
In other words go to the source of the Ebro and follow it. I assume a climb up to Reinosa then flattish to Caspe.
molzor

Post by molzor »

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 500247&z=7

i cycled that last summer. riding out of barcelona was a nightmare, seemed to go on forever. the road was also pretty boring for the most part.. i tried stay in the flats of the valley but just got a strong headwind (i think it travels along the plains most of the time).

I would recommend exploring some of the hillier sections if you have the time and energy, it should be a lot more interesting. the last stretch over the mountains and down into santander was some of the best cycling i saw riding across europe.
keithg

Post by keithg »

I’ve ridden out of Barcelona airport too and it was a nightmare also.
You might want to think about how you’d get in and out of the airport area on a bike or use the shuttle bus or taxi if yoiu’re Planning to fly out of there.
Have fun.