Another flying with a bike comment

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
matt2matt2002

Another flying with a bike comment

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Flew from Edinburgh to Addis Ababa via Istanbul with Turkish airlines last month.
Bike boxed weighed 28 Kilo.
Only carry on luggage.
At Edinbugh I was not allowed to use my unused 40 Kilo luggage allowance for my bike.
Paid £70 approx.

Flying back, without asking, the check in lady said I wouldn't have to pay for the bike since I was allowed 40 Kilo luggage allowance!

Bike arrived safe. Within an hour of landing I was on the road cycling to Waverley Station.

So.,.....
Expect the unexpected when flying with your bike.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
iandriver

Re: Another flying with a bike comment

Post by iandriver »

Taking a print out of the airlines bike/ baggage policy is a common recommendation. The staff, and who they are employed by, is always going to be a huge variable.

You either got robbed one way or got away with it the other I guess.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

had a similar issue flying with Lufthansa - it seems to be the staff at the UK end that don't understand the airlines policies, in my case at Manchester, think it cost me £40 - on return from Munich I just turned up with the bike which was taken from me and I was checked in, no quibble.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

iandriver wrote:Taking a print out of the airlines bike/ baggage policy is a common recommendation. The staff, and who they are employed by, is always going to be a huge variable.

You either got robbed one way or got away with it the other I guess.

Yes. I got away with it. The rules clearly stated that I should pay for the bike. I asked to see if there was some flexibility. Silly me. I was talking to an airline. But I thought it was worth a chance. All they could say, was No. Which is what they did in Edinburgh.
In Addis they were more open minded, flexible or ignorant of their own rules. So I scored.

My only observation is that within airline companies there are staff who interpret rules differently.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

A recent report on Thorn Tree, had someone refused standard bike box in US on Etihad. They were flying to Nepal. He got someone to FedEx it to Nepal, it cost $1500.

At least you knew beforehand that they charge although this wasn't clear from your first post.

I can only re re reiterate to anyone else, check conditions before you book.

Glad you had a good trip.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

simonhill wrote:A recent report on Thorn Tree, had someone refused standard bike box in US on Etihad. They were flying to Nepal. He got someone to FedEx it to Nepal, it cost $1500.

At least you knew beforehand that they charge although this wasn't clear from your first post.

I can only re re reiterate to anyone else, check conditions before you book.

Glad you had a good trip.

Indeed. Take a print out of the terms and conditions with you. Plus a head office contact number.

But expect the unexpected and accept it if it's to your advantage.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.