Getting bikes back from Hamburg Airport?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Whiteyboo

Getting bikes back from Hamburg Airport?

Post by Whiteyboo »

Hi, My husband and his friend are cycling/camping from Oslo to Hamburg in June (Just for fun - no charity fundraising involved). He has asked me to look into getting their bikes back on the flight from Hamburg to Manchester. I speak German so I have been in conversations with Hamburg Airport who have been less than helpful. Does anyone know any bike shops near Hamburg airport where they could get bike boxes from please? I have already suggested a bike bag but this has been dismissed because they won't have anything to pack around the frame etc to protect it. Can anyone offer any help on this please? Any and all advise will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
simonhill

Re: Getting bikes back from Hamburg Airport?

Post by simonhill »

I see you have also asked this question on another post, so a bit confusing, but adding to the reply there.

Do you know who you were speaking to at the airport? I would imagine it was just a general enquiry person. You could try speaking to left luggage people, I have heard of them sometimes holding boxes, but it's rare.

There are a few airports that sell boxes, but the only ones I know are in Australia.

What I do is search for bike shop on Google maps in nearest town. You can zoom in and see ones likely to have boxes. You can then go and get one. If you speak the language then maybe phone or email first, but I've done this and it was ignored (albeit in languages I don't speak). I find the best way is to do it face to face.

Edit: Don't forget t check that the airline's bike policy. They are the final arbiter when it comes to packing.
whoof

Post by whoof »

The nearest appears to be the Specialized Concept store about 500 m from the airport.
box.jpg
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There are plenty of bike shops in Hamburg, you could Google and mail them to ask
The airport surely offers info in English too
The airport is on the north edge of town, has a train station, no need to go into Hamburg, it is a nasty big city like London :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

To use a bag they only need to go into the nearest OBI and buy a pack of pipe lagging and a roll of strong tape.

Which airline are they flying with?

I've used the airport many times with and without bike and it's a very easy airport to use, easy to access by bike and not so big that you get lost.

If they insist on using boxes there are several bike shops near the main railway station from which a regular train (S bahn) goes directly into the airport. If they spend time in the city this is the best way to the airport, there is no longer a bus service and it's easy to get lost in the grid like street pattern - been there, done that!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!