Canterbury - the friendly city

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

Canterbury - the friendly city

Post by mercalia »

well the Tory council there dont seem to like any one?
lots of proscription notices ( instant £100 fine ) in the high st. in great detail - cant swear, cant drink, if an enforcement officer asks for your opened bottle thats an offence to refuse, also of an UNopened bottle. No begging ( they have special picturegrams for no begging ) no peddlars - if you do sell then you have to move atleast 50m from the spot where you are and not return in a given period of time. I have only given the gist as the details was quite elaborate . I must say they are on the ball though. I noticed there wasnt a notice saying no cycling- so I queried one of the enforcement officers and he said no, and didnt like that I said there were no notices to that effect: Hey Presto the following day there were no cycling notices ( not between 9am and 4pm) I think the next thing is camping as there were no notices forbidding that either :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: and I did spot a few places that might take my tent. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by mercalia on 16 Mar 2018, 4:46am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Canterbury - the friendly city

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You could try Salisbury instead, it is full of cops, won't be much crime there :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

mercalia wrote:well the Labour council there dont seem to like any one?

It’s a Conservative council and has been for decades, with the odd Lib Dem interruption. But nice try :roll:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

JamesE wrote:
mercalia wrote:well the Labour council there dont seem to like any one?

It’s a Conservative council and has been for decades, with the odd Lib Dem interruption. But nice try :roll:

I was told by some one who worked at the yha there that Labour took control, seems then she was wrong.

though the dont do this culture is more typical of the tories :lol:

ah it seems she might have meant Labour took control at MP level
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/09/canterbury-tale-single-mum-becomes-towns-first-ever-labour-mp
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The Canterbury Tale is one where there were major social problems in this area, and the locals wanted it dealt with. SO the very naughty councillors actually did what their voters asked them to do, and the fact the same people are regularly being voted in would suggest the local populace rather likes a High Dtreet free of drunks, bottles of urine and personal abuse
climo

Post by climo »

Cyril Haearn wrote:You could try Salisbury instead, it is full of cops, won't be much crime there :wink:

Oddly I had cause to go to the Salisbury hospital at 10pm on the same day as the Russian's poisoning. Walking in through the main doors I was astonished to see (or not see) absolutely no police. No police cars, no press, nada. In fact there was no one around, I mean no one. Marie Celeste like in fact.
I'm sure that they were all down at A&E but still you do expect the odd armed copper to show their face. I also took great offence when Amber Rudd didn't visit me and Maybot arrived, late as usual, after I left. I had made strenuous effects to drive my temperature up to 104deg and end up in my own isolation unit just to show solidarity with the poor Russian. I mean it's really not good enough is it!
:)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:The Canterbury Tale is one where there were major social problems in this area, and the locals wanted it dealt with. SO the very naughty councillors actually did what their voters asked them to do, and the fact the same people are regularly being voted in would suggest the local populace rather likes a High Dtreet free of drunks, bottles of urine and personal abuse

well i spoke to an information officer - it dont seem to work
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:The Canterbury Tale is one where there were major social problems in this area, and the locals wanted it dealt with. SO the very naughty councillors actually did what their voters asked them to do, and the fact the same people are regularly being voted in would suggest the local populace rather likes a High Dtreet free of drunks, bottles of urine and personal abuse

well i spoke to an information officer - it dont seem to work

We'll have to agree to differ, I have friends there who think that since there restrictions have been put in place, this area has improved greatly.

That was also my experience from our regular visits