Thanet Coast Route?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
maxglide

Thanet Coast Route?

Post by maxglide »

I'm planning a ride from Margate to Bournemouth.

Two initial starting routes are, Margate - Faversham and, Margate - Canterbury. Both routes merge 40 miles from Margate.

I think the 20 mile coastal promenade from M - F could become boring & repetitive; hence the Canterbury option. Opinions?
gaz

Re: Thanet Coast Route?

Post by gaz »

I suppose the question is "do you like to be beside the seaside, do you like to be beside the sea?" :wink:

You haven't linked any routes. A-roads in Thanet are no fun at all. Cycle.travel uses the proms from Margate to Reculver for both options. It would be possible to make a decision at that point unless you need to pre-book your accomodation.

If heading for Canterbury I'd probably stay on the coast to Whitstable and then take the Crab and Winkle. If heading to Faversham I'd find time to stop at the Freewheel Inn at Graveney.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

Yes, the Canterbury route veers SW at Reculver. I think it's going to be that way - 8 miles of seaside is enough. As for accomodation, it'll probably be 'alternative camping'.
molzor

Post by molzor »

the back lanes from reculver towards canterbury are pretty nice.

or you could turn off to canterbury from whitstable on the crab and winkle way. that goes through some woodland too if you are looking for a camp spot.
groberts

Post by groberts »

I did the Kent coast clockwise a few years ago. Here's a link to my blog - if you pick the bones out of this it might help you decide.

Reculver to Margate is very nice but if I were going from Margate to Bournemouth I'd go via Dover - Eastbourne and then maybe inland through the South Downs to Winchester and drop down to Bournemouth via the New Forest.

https://roundthebendpart1.wordpress.com ... pril-2010/