Danube in Serbia?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nirakaro

Danube in Serbia?

Post by nirakaro »

I'll be heading down through former Yugoslavia, with Turkey firmly in my sights, and could fancy a few days detour along the Danube. Looking at the map though, I get the impression that there's very few places where I'd actually be riding along, or at least in sight of, the river, rather than just being on a road somewhere close to it. Which might seem a bit pointless. Any advice?
ConRAD

Re: Danube in Serbia?

Post by ConRAD »

From my blog http://prendoillargo.blogspot.it/2012/06/balcani-2012.html, days 26-27-28 May 2012, actually in the opposite direction Belgrade-Dunav Stara Palanca-Donji Milanovac-Dobreta/Turnu Severin (Romania), IMO the best part of the river.

Approximatly 10 km East of Drobeta (Romania) we passed the Romanian-Serbian border in correspondence of the Iron Gate Hydroelectric Power Station (Porţile de Fier). From now on and for over than 200 km the Danube enters in a spectacular gorge till the Ram Fortress situated on a steep slope on the right bank of the river, in the municipality of Veliko Gradište. Here we took a ferry and pointed East to finally reach Belgrade the capital and the largest city of Serbia located at the confluence of the Sava and Danube rivers”.