2-3 day bicycle tours Yorkshire

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Kapalasa

2-3 day bicycle tours Yorkshire

Post by Kapalasa »

In July I will start an 18month bicycle tour of South America, Central America and North America. In June I fly from Johannesburg to Yorkshire to collect my new touring bike from Spa Cycles, and also spend time with my family in Batley and Bridlington, before I fly to Rio de Janeiro. I'd like to do a few 2/3 night tours, fully loaded to make sure everything is ok. Can anyone suggest any routes of about 40-60miles per day, starting and finishing at the above locations?
eileithyia

Re: 2-3 day bicycle tours Yorkshire

Post by eileithyia »

Quick look at a map and it seems you have an ideal 2-3 day tour by linking up the 2 places... not sure of best routes out of Batley, but I would head roughly NE, uptowards, Boroughbridge, (maybe Harrogate), York, Hawardian Hills, and across the York Moors to Bridlington, there is some glorious countryside up there.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you want a ready made route for the bit from north of Harrogate to Brid, the Way of the Roses may be made for you.

http://www.wayoftheroses.co.uk/

Picking up a bike from Spa, riding to Batley, then more or less back to North Yorkshire might not be the best use of your cycling time. If you wanted to do it that way, then the Trans-Pennine Trail might be a way from Batley to the East coast, but not one I'd plump for.

http://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk/

It's not impossible to find a reasonable bike route from Batley to Harrogate, but Harrogate to Batley to somewhere on the Way of the Roses, would be harder.

If you have flexibility over your itinerary, my advice would be to consider starting at Batley, public transport to Harrogate, then pick up your bike for the start of your bike tour. I live only a few miles from Batley BTW, so I'm familiar with this area.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The world is your agitated mollusc!

From Brid you could explore the Wolds - rolling to flat without a lot of traffic. Or go north to the NYM's - wilder more testing terrain with plenty of steep grades.

From Batley you can access the Dales - sort of a cross between wolds and moors. Or more sw into the Pennines proper, more testing climbing. Or the opposite by going east into the central lowlands for some of the flattest riding this side of Holland!

It's quite easy to work out short tours into any of these, plenty of accomodation and camping can be had in most areas. I'd probably try to link up some places I wanted to visit for eg ride up to Richmond via Knaresborough and Ripon then across to Hawes and back via Settle and Skipton. There are so many potential trips can't see why you'd want to go Furren after a small sample :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The previous post has made me realise you are looking for several short tours, rather than what I was saying. I'm off to do some grandad's chauffeuring duties just now, so Ill give it a bit more thought.
Kapalasa

Post by Kapalasa »

Thanks for your thoughts and advise. I'm really looking forward to these mini tours. Especially the light nights and glorious midsummer weather :-)
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Kapalasa wrote:Thanks for your thoughts and advise. I'm really looking forward to these mini tours. Especially the light nights and glorious midsummer weather :-)

If I’ve read this right and you will, say, start off on a three day tour from Bridlington and return to Bridlington after those three days then the Yorkshire Wolds Cycle Route could have been made for you:

http://www.cycleyorkshirewolds.com/route

Get back to me if it sounds like something you’d be interested in and you need any further info.
Kapalasa

Post by Kapalasa »

keyboardmonkey wrote:
Kapalasa wrote:Thanks for your thoughts and advise. I'm really looking forward to these mini tours. Especially the light nights and glorious midsummer weather :-)

If I’ve read this right and you will, say, start off on a three day tour from Bridlington and return to Bridlington after those three days then the Yorkshire Wolds Cycle Route could have been made for you:

http://www.cycleyorkshirewolds.com/route

Get back to me if it sounds like something you’d be interested in and you need any further info.

Sorry, just seen your reply Keyboardmonkey. Thanks, this looks perfect, and I will give this a go. Will let you know how I get on.
Kapalasa

Post by Kapalasa »

Ok just to give you all some feedback. I ended up collecting my bike from Spa Cycles then riding to Batley. I did a few rides from there, including out to Emley Mast. I cycled to Bridlington and did numerous ride out from there. Partly on the Wolds Loop and also on the Way of The Roses route.
I was utterly blown away by the views, the quiet roads and the curtesy shown to cyclists by other road users.
I'm now in Brazil, so if you'd like to follow my blog, please do: teampieusa.wordpress.com
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Kapalasa wrote:Ok just to give you all some feedback. I ended up collecting my bike from Spa Cycles then riding to Batley. I did a few rides from there, including out to Emley Mast. I cycled to Bridlington and did numerous ride out from there. Partly on the Wolds Loop and also on the Way of The Roses route.
I was utterly blown away by the views, the quiet roads and the curtesy shown to cyclists by other road users.
I'm now in Brazil, so if you'd like to follow my blog, please do: teampieusa.wordpress.com

Glad you enjoyed our visit to GOC!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Kapalasa wrote:...I cycled to Bridlington and did numerous ride out from there. Partly on the Wolds Loop and also on the Way of The Roses route.
I was utterly blown away by the views, the quiet roads and the curtesy shown to cyclists by other road users...

Jolly good. Enjoy Brazil. I do hope it won’t be too much of a let down after the Yorkshire Wolds ;-)