Leaving a Bike In Europe

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Psamathe

Leaving a Bike In Europe

Post by Psamathe »

I'm now looking at possibilities this spring/summer touring in Europe but there is the very real possibility I'll have to (at no notice) get to the nearest airport and fly home. What possibilities might there be for leaving the bike somewhere safe? (e.g. is it something camp sites might do, or local bike shops or other possibilities).

Ian
simonhill

Re: Leaving a Bike In Europe

Post by simonhill »

All of those are possible. I have left my campervan at a campsite while going off cycling. I have also left my bike in a hotel while returning to the UK for a wedding.

However, unless you know the campsite/hotel etc well, what I would do is to search out a local club and get one of their members to help.
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

I know people who've used WarmShowers for this - you're probably more likely to find someone who has room to store a bike outside of the big cities...
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

If you find yourself in Belgium and needing to get home, then you can leave the bike/equipment with me. PM me for address/contact details.
bg

Post by bg »

I know a campsite about 10 miles from Nice airport that should be able help you out.
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

Psamathe wrote:I'm now looking at possibilities this spring/summer touring in Europe but there is the very real possibility I'll have to (at no notice) get to the nearest airport and fly home. What possibilities might there be for leaving the bike somewhere safe? (e.g. is it something camp sites might do, or local bike shops or other possibilities).

Ian

If it's in the uk no reason why you couldn't leave it at mine , sure your bike can tell some of mine about its adventures whilst they are all cozy together in the garage
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

when one of our friends, was caught in a similar situation another British person on the campsite offered to bring the bike back for us. we then picked the bike up the bike from Dover. The Patron of the campsite was only too happy to help as well. People of all nationalities are happy to help when you are in trouble.
NUKe

Post by Psamathe »

Many thanks for the offers and suggestions. I'm not stuck anywhere at the moment, just that if I do go (hopefully) then there is a high likelihood of needing to return urgently with no notice. Hopefully it would not happen but one has to recognise what is going on ...

Ian
johnonhisbike

Post by johnonhisbike »

Hi, There is a wonderful community of cycle-tourists throughout the world using the https://www.warmshowers.org/ I too will be touring in Europe this summer and I have contacted a fellow member who has agreed to look after my bike and belongings while I fly bact to the UK ...
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

During a long (4 month) tour, we left our bikes, tent, etc in Vienna in order to return home for a wedding. We stayed at the hotel for a couple of nights before heading back to the UK, and the night after arriving back in Austria and they were happy to hold onto our belongings for us.

Do the same and I'm sure you'll be fine!