Depressing news for/take on cycle touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Depressing news for/take on cycle touring?

Post by Sweep »

https://tomsbiketrip.com/how-has-cycle- ... -10-years/

Only just come across this from the always interesting Tom as I have only just become aware that his blog is back.

I know there are a few long distance far-flung-parts tourers on here (me - have only done 1 to 2 week UK tours so far) so would be interested in their take on this. Or anyone else for that matter.
Sweep
horizon

Re: Depressing news for/take on cycle touring?

Post by horizon »

Sweep: I think you'll have to explain why you found it depressing. It's an interesting (excellent) blogpost and not something I haven't thought about over the years. But I (and other people) can't quite get a sense of how Tom really feels about it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well he is just pointing out that times have moved on and the sense of " going where no one has gone before" Star Trek style into the unknown is no longer true? I personally have no desire to ride the road of bones I think it is called in Siberia or some where, I remember seeing a picture of some woman riding it togged up the eye balls in warm clothing in sub zero temperatures or hot, over sunny or humid places far away from a McDonalds - Fortunately no need for the conceit of being an adventurer any more as I am sure there is a webcam some where of any place you want to look at? And any way it has all been spoilt since the stunning pictures we see of things have been taken with a drone and you aint going to see things like that from 3 feet off the ground :cry:

[youtube]f-9ijiN31LI[/youtube]

some stunning 4K videos here
[youtube]Oe06_RgOcD4[/youtube]

stunning Dubai but boring to cycle around?
[youtube]sa1rbpZqklc[/youtube]

( I wish I was superman :cry: )
Last edited by mercalia on 7 Apr 2018, 2:01pm, edited 3 times in total.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I am still hoping for a reply from Sweep but here's my take on it anyway. I think that Tom lives in a bubble - that of the travel correspondent - and he's acutely aware of what now might interest people and get his writing noticed. He's also aware that modern technology is not only making travel easier but making hearing and reading about it a great deal easier too. So from his professional point of view, it's problematic. (BTW I'll just say at this stage that i have followed his blog for a long tme and really like it.)

But I would say to him and others - don't worry. The fact is that riding a bicycle at all is quite challenging for most people still, camping overnight is almost impossible and doing it in a hot foreign country even more so. I remember my last trip to Spain when I was the only cycle tourist I met along the way apart from one -a Lithuanian. So unusual was our meeting that I got a mention in his blog.

There are still precious few people setting out on a journey on bikes. Yes, of those more write about it but very few do it. The Camel Trail on a summer Sunday afternoon doesn't give the whole story.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

Last post was a good one.

In reality who cares about the content of Tom Allens post, he is an inspiration, but as he points out in other blogs, it is your trip. Enjoy it your way safely and don't worry about anything else. That is the point.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

I'm a little bit uncomfortable with the white western slant to it.

I haven't done long distance cycle touring, but when I travel I like to think of myself as a citizen of the world, not as a white westerner. I certainly don't expect any privilege or to be special in any way. If we now have cycle tourists from all over the world, then to me that's a very positive thing.

It may be that I mis-read it, but I don't want to be put into the 'us' group that he mentions.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Thing is, if you've been cycletouring to far off places for 10 years+ , and writing about it, then possibly he's done it all, ie it holds no fascination any more. Where as some folk only cycle to the shop, so for them to cycle to the next village is an adventure. It's all about the feeling within, that thrill, buzz, sense of adventure. If you don't feel this an more, then do something else, ie long distance hiking, or climbing,or diving , and let others have their fun.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

horizon wrote:I am still hoping for a reply from Sweep but here's my take on it anyway. I think that Tom lives in a bubble - that of the travel correspondent - and he's acutely aware of what now might interest people and get his writing noticed. He's also aware that modern technology is not only making travel easier but making hearing and reading about it a great deal easier too. So from his professional point of view, it's problematic. (BTW I'll just say at this stage that i have followed his blog for a long tme and really like it.)

But I would say to him and others - don't worry. The fact is that riding a bicycle at all is quite challenging for most people still, camping overnight is almost impossible and doing it in a hot foreign country even more so. I remember my last trip to Spain when I was the only cycle tourist I met along the way apart from one -a Lithuanian. So unusual was our meeting that I got a mention in his blog.

There are still precious few people setting out on a journey on bikes. Yes, of those more write about it but very few do it. The Camel Trail on a summer Sunday afternoon doesn't give the whole story.

I didn't reply earlier horizon because it was a genuine open question, I was interested in folks' views and I didn't want to skew the thread into being a response to anything I wrote. In short I was interested, and still am, in folks' response to Tom's piece.

I share your enthusiasm for his writing. I was a regular reader of his blog and have read three of his books.

My response?

I can really see where he is coming from, from his position, but though I find bits of his post a tad depressing (or more) I don't suppose at the end of the day it bothers me personally a mega amount with regard to my own touring/planned touring. For I have never felt the need to pedal across either a frozen wasteland or blazing desert. Or to prove anything to anyone (or even myself) with feats of endurance.

In fact I have for a fair while thought that the pleasure in life, and touring, is to "slip between the gaps" -I am not entirely sure where Tom is living these days with his tour-encountered wife/partner, but maybe he should spend some time cycling closer to home, bits of Europe, the UK even.

But I commend Tom's blog and writing to folks. He talks a lot of sense. About cycling and life.
Sweep