Trans Penine Trail

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Greytop

Trans Penine Trail

Post by Greytop »

We are doing the TPT at the end of next month, and there doesn't seem to be any up to date information on the route.
If anyone has done it recently I would appreciate any information they have, particularly, is the route well sign posted, though naturally we have the maps. What is the terrain like, I see from 2012 posts it can be hard going especially after rainy periods like we have had recently.
Any other up to date information appreciated.
nomisp

Re: Trans Penine Trail

Post by nomisp »

Hi. I did route in May last year from east to west. Signage generally very good but have to remember sometimes that there are other routes marked TPT , it is not just one route from coast to coast. The only place that I got lost in was Hull but still managed to get through. I had planned to camp but really struggled to find campsites, I think the only one I found on route was at Crowden . Surfaces varied greatly , generally good but some of the old railways were quite rutted or muddy depending on weather . The worst bit of the route was coming down from Woodhead pass towards Tintwistle surfaces were very poor indeed. Hope you enjoy your ride
nomisp

Post by nomisp »

Hi, Terrain was surprisingly good , there are a few hills but when you realise you are going over the Pennines a lot of the climbing is done on old railway lines so gradients are never steep . nomisp
foxyrider

Re: Trans Pennine Trail

Post by foxyrider »

If you are doing the classic route (over the Woodhead and straight to/from Hull/Liverpool-ish) it's easy enough to follow (Hull is a nightmare but not impossible). However particularly on this side (east) of the Pennines there are branches going all over the place, down to Chesterfield for example and a bunch of alternatives around Barnsley.

To avoid getting in a pickle i'd get a disposable copy (photocopy or print off t'interweb) of the map and mark the version you are following with a highlighter. Do bear in mind that it doesn't actually go through many places so services and those elusive camp sites may be a bit of a side trip.

Have fun
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Very recently I thought I’d follow the TPT through Hessle-Hull.
Felt like someone was having a laugh at my expense and I quickly took my own route.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Any chance of freecamping?
Sweep
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Paulatic wrote:Very recently I thought I’d follow the TPT through Hessle-Hull.
Felt like someone was having a laugh at my expense and I quickly took my own route.

I've tried following it across to the ferries - end up going different every time! For such a supposedly bike friendly place their signage and maintenance are atrocious. Like you i've given up trying to spot the correct route and just trust to intuition.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
nomisp

Post by nomisp »

I did manage to wild camp on 3 or 4 nights but almost wherever you camped the were dog walkers out late or early, almost by the nature of route you were never far from inhabitation . My biggest surprise was that there were no campsites in or close to Southport .
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the reply nam. Though they doubtless disturbed your peaceful musings I can't see the average dog walker being a threat.
Sweep
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I'd avoid the Penistone-to-Mottram(InLongdendale) section (ie find alternate route / get train) because the Bridleway which 'replaces' the railway tunnel part was very rough and steep and the A628 unacceptable due to bad HGV driver:
[url]http\s://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=120287#p1210529[/url]

There is a campsite near(SW of) Worsborough:
https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campsites/uk/southyorkshire/worsbroughbarnsley/greenspringstouringpark
When going westward it is 1st left(south) after crossing M1: note it is not a tarmac-ed road (at turn of point) so I missed it thinking it was just a country driveway/forest path and ended up at Wortley Hall
(which was very reasonably priced for a Hotel in a nice country house):
https://www.wortleyhall.org.uk
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)