Lidl Sleeping Bags

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Lidl Sleeping Bags

Post by mnichols »

Lidl are selling 3 season sleeping bags for £15....are they any good?
pjclinch

Re: Lidl Sleeping Bags

Post by pjclinch »

mnichols wrote:Lidl are selling 3 season sleeping bags for £15....are they any good?

Simple question, but the answer less so. What are you expecting? If you're wondering whether they'll be as good as a PHD at 20 times the price in absolute performance terms, very probably not, but if you need an occasional bag then £15 is basically small change. So ask the usual questions like does it fit, do you find the inner fabric comfortable against the skin, what is the temperature rating and how does that compare to the temperatures you're expecting (with usual caveats about are you a cold sleeper), how small does it pack down and do you have that sort of room. Add in how much money do you have available, how often will be using it and over what sort of time scale and then you'll get more of an idea.

There is the argument that at that price you can't miss, but hopefully we're reaching the point or realisation that buying stuff just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

nothing worse than camping and feeling cold :oops:
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Cheap sleeping bags are either cold or bulky. The snag with bulky is that bulk costs money because on a bike you need more/larger panniers. I can make do with even smallish rear panniers (and no front panniers) because I have invested in an expensive mattress and sleeping bag that are both small and light. Doing this saved me the expense and weight of front panniers and a front rack, costing some 130 pounds, and weighing 2-2.5 kg even empty.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

willem jongman wrote:Cheap sleeping bags are either cold or bulky. The snag with bulky is that bulk costs money because on a bike you need more/larger panniers. I can make do with even smallish rear panniers (and no front panniers) because I have invested in an expensive mattress and sleeping bag that are both small and light. Doing this saved me the expense and weight of front panniers and a front rack, costing some 130 pounds, and weighing 2-2.5 kg even empty.

Good to hear people who understand the importance of a good sleeping mat, and the false economy of some items 8)
However, for the very occasional use of the cyclist that sleeps "warm" perhaps a £15 sleeping bag can be ok
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...