The Via Domitia

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

The Via Domitia

Post by mercalia »

Just been watching an old Mary Beard 4 part series on the Roman Empire. She described how one new innovation that the Romans introduced were roads that joined places long distance. She mentioned & was riding one such called the Via Domitia in France that joined France to Spain. Has any one here ridden on it? how far can you actually go these days?

[youtube]RnQITvdTTdQ[/youtube]
HarryD

Re: The Via Domitia

Post by HarryD »

Lightfoot do a guide. Available on Amazon

"LightFoot Guides to the ancient pilgrim routes of Europe are written for Walkers, Cyclists and Horse Riders, providing specific information for each group and enabling everyone to meet their personal goals. This book traces 621 kilometres of the via Domitia from Arles to Vercelli - linking the St James Ways with the via Francigena.  The entire distance has been GPS traced and very detailed instructions and maps provided for each section of approximately 18 kilometres. Accommodation is listed for the entire length of each section letting you decide where to stop."

Add on the Via Francigena at one end and the Camino de Santiago at the other and you'll have a great ride
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

That sounds wonderful! I really want to do that...
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
SamWarrenCycling

Post by SamWarrenCycling »

This would be a fantastic route, I reckon. Definite scope to venture slightly off the Via Domitia, and explore nearby Avignon or even the beautiful National Park where the Rhone meets the Med. I read a fascinating blog post about a couple's 400km cycle just near here. And, to follow on from your inspiration from Mary Beard's Civilisation, they said one of the highlights was the Roman ruins! http://bit.ly/2r95XhL