Forth and Clyde and Union canals

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mediumbird

Forth and Clyde and Union canals

Post by mediumbird »

Hi. Does anyone know if the tow path surfaces of these canals have been resurfaced in tarmac to allow road bikes to use them? Many years ago I cycled the Union canal on my hybrid bike and it was just awful. I had heard a rumour that they were upgraded but can't find that info anywhere, so thought I would ask the collective..... :D . Thanks
largeallan

Re: Forth and Clyde and Union canals

Post by largeallan »

I haven't been on the Union Canal, but I've done all of the F&C from Glasgow to the Falkirk wheel on a 700x32 tourer with no difficulty. Most of it is Tarred or hard packed Tar/gravel type mix. There are one or two sections that are more bare earth, but not many and they don't last too long. I see road bikes commuting on it often enough, though I suppose they might not be the latest shiny skinny wheeled velocepedes out there...

Oh,I forgot...... and Bowling to Glasgow is fine too
mediumbird

Post by mediumbird »

Many thanks largeallan, thought that might be the case. So probably not ideal for my road bike......
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I've happily done Glasgow-Falkirk on 28mm tyres - not all the surface is completely smooth but it is all sealed. I believe the Union Canal on from Falkirk is still narrow and unsurfaced in places.