Water Bottle with Filter and Cap - recommendations

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Water Bottle with Filter and Cap - recommendations

Post by mnichols »

HI,

I'm looking for recommendations for a water bottle to fit in the bottle cage that has an integrated filter and mud cap

I'm off to India, and whilst I will be drinking bottled water I want to take the extra measure of having a filter (to take out bacteria and nasties) from the water, and also a cap that will keep mud off the nipple.

One option would be take to take 1 normal bottle and 1 filtered bottle and pour from one to the other. That way I could still put hydration tablets in the bottle that I drink from

Any advice for drinking in road side cafes? I've heard the cola is the safest option, but I don't normally drink caffeine, so this might keep me up all night, tea might have the same effect

Thanks in advance
Vantage

Re: Water Bottle with Filter and Cap - recommendations

Post by Vantage »

Possibly not what you're after but it is good. The threads on the end allow it to be screwed onto the top of most standard threaded water bottles and the other end which water comes out of has a squeeze on lid. Cleaning it is a simple case of back flushing it.
If you were to use a cage such as the Topeak Modula EX then you could simply just shove an off the shelf bottle of water in there with the filter attached until it's time for a new bottle.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FA2RLX2/ ... ZAb801G47V
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Eman Resu

Post by Eman Resu »

If you're cycling in the south of India and are worried about stomach ailments then I advise drinking fresh coconut water (cut from fresh coconuts) from roadside vendors. Having said that I drank 'mineral' water in South India in great quantities for 3 weeks last December without any adverse effects .. just make sure the bottle you buy has the factory seal.
Mathematics is precise, so I am a mathematician.
Life is precious, so I protect all life.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Eman Resu wrote:If you're cycling in the south of India and are worried about stomach ailments then I advise drinking fresh coconut water (cut from fresh coconuts) from roadside vendors. Having said that I drank 'mineral' water in South India in great quantities for 3 weeks last December without any adverse effects .. just make sure the bottle you buy has the factory seal.

Thanks, I'll be in Northern India, in the Himalayas, but if I see any coconuts I'll definitely use them
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Vantage wrote:Possibly not what you're after but it is good. The threads on the end allow it to be screwed onto the top of most standard threaded water bottles and the other end which water comes out of has a squeeze on lid. Cleaning it is a simple case of back flushing it.
If you were to use a cage such as the Topeak Modula EX then you could simply just shove an off the shelf bottle of water in there with the filter attached until it's time for a new bottle.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FA2RLX2/ ... ZAb801G47V

Thanks. would this fit a standard sports bottle? the connection looks too small
Shuggie

Post by Shuggie »

Have a look for Travel Tap at www.drinksafe-systems.co.uk. I have their micro purification water filter bottle; believe they may have offers on now though website not the easiest if IRC. I think that is what you are after.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

mnichols wrote:
Thanks. would this fit a standard sports bottle? the connection looks too small

No I'm afraid not. It will screw onto a standard bottle thread such as those on a coke bottle.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I'd use a filter that fits to a normal mineral water bottle and get a bike buddy stainless cage to carry it on the bike
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

This works very well to remove all the particles from water, even standing water
https://sawyer.com/products/mini-filter/

But does not remove bacteria, so you need a SteriPen as well
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Tea in India (called chai) is usually served in very small cups and is very sweet. It is hardly a thirst quencher. I used to always have 2, which the locals thought a great extravagance. The small cups used to be rough terracotta with a very muddy taste, but now are normally plastic disposal ones.

There are plenty of bottled soft drinks in India, all probably safe. Not sure how good they are with sugar and additives/colourings, etc. You can often get soda, which is just carbonated water.

I've cycled quite a lot in India and never had a problem getting hydration.

One tip, if staying anywhere for a few days, you can buy water in large (20 litre) containers. Dirt cheap compared to normal bottles, but you do need to return the container for the deposit.
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

I've used an MSR miniworks in the past and it was very good. Not an all in one bottle and filter, but did the job.

http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Zefal used to make a bike bottle (bidon) with a dust cap over the nozzle. I used to have one and it did keep the dust off the drinking spout thingy. I'm not sure how hygienic it really was as it would have needed regular cleaning and sterilisation of the cap to avoid transferring any dirt or germs from it onto the spout.

What I do is have a screw top bidon. When I want to drink, I stop, unscrew the top and drink. This avoids putting the exposed top directly into your mouth. I carry one bidon on my frame and a large 1.5 litre bottle in my rear pannier pocket for topping up.

Keep it simple.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Really I'd just buy bottled water and on the few occasions where that wasn't available I'd use tincture of iodine available easily in India. Running water can be pretty disgusting unless well above any habitation, tap water can be heavily chlorinated in towns. I don't think that bottled water was ever the cause of any sickness I had there, it doesn't need further treatment. Sometimes you can get re-filled bottles by kids etc who come to bus windows to sell them but the seal is broken so they are easily spotted.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

there are a few options to do, years ago I made my own version by hot gluing a charcoal based filter into a spare cycle bottle. some of the military spec bottles like press2pure or seychelle do a sports bottle. In the military I had a dirty bottle specifically for filtering suspect water into clean bottles. the hard part is working out the filter usage.

water2go do a suitable sports bottle that fits the bill.

some filters do bacterial others do chemical and particulates, brita filters can do bacterial but they don't want lawsuits so say they don't, you can however kill the bugs chemically and just filter them out along with the chlorine or iodine taste.

lifestraw I see now do a universal bottle adapter that fits into a standard water bottle

I've been using clear2go of late, although most of the time I take the filter off and keep it separate, weighs nowt but handy to have. my water at home is tainted by hyperchlorites so its a good test of a bottle. overseas tap water is usually filtered and cleaned but is often stored in roof tanks which is usually why they advise not to drink it. the same reason why older houses here with loft tanks you only drink the water from the kitchen tap and not the bathroom.

https://www.treehugger.com/clean-water/ ... -test.html

https://www.treehugger.com/culture/gree ... ttles.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clear2GO-Water ... B002VPRKSC

not that much more than a regular bottle from an LBS though prices do vary.

it is still handy to understand basic purification though and add a few titbits of information, you can use a sock to filter out sediment and boiling is still the simplest way of killing anything that lives in there. if you squeeze all the air out you can even place plastic bottles direct on a fire to boil the contents without destroying the bottle. in areas of decent sun just leaving the bottle in the sun exposed to UV will kill off bacteria, cysts usually filter out though are harder to kill chemically. I usually stick a bit of tight weave cloth over the bottle with an elastic band when filling to keep the gunk out and stop the filter clogging up..

you used to be able to get rubber mud covers - don't know if you still can.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Gattonero wrote:This works very well to remove all the particles from water, even standing water
https://sawyer.com/products/mini-filter/

But does not remove bacteria, so you need a SteriPen as well

Of course it filters bacteria, that's the whole point of the thing.
What it doesn't filter is viruses which are too small for most common filters.