Loire valley - suggestions.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
greyhead

Loire valley - suggestions.

Post by greyhead »

I am thinking of taking the caravan over to France in the next month or so and staying on a site probably somewhere on or near the Loire and then using it as a base for leisurely day touring. Would appreciate any suggestions as to the best part of the Loire Valley to locate. May possibly consider a couple of sites but I don't want to keep moving around.
MartinBrice

Re: Loire valley - suggestions.

Post by MartinBrice »

Good idea, it's a lovely area for riding. You might want to think of pitching near the middle, near a railway station, which means you can go down/up the river and use the train to return to your site in the evening.
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

Muides sur Loire. There is a Camping Municipal right on the river which I've used a couple of times. There's also a privately owned site in the village. Camping Municipal has the basics, the location is lovely and you are only a short walk from the village centre and shops. There are a number of local cycle routes several of which will take you to the stunning Chateau Chambord. You are also within easy cycling distance of Blois and are ideally placed to explore the Loire cycle route itself.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Between Orleans and Blois is a decent bet. You can cycle to both towns along the EV6. Both are stunning places to visit and the cycle path is first class.

It was probably my favourite stretch of the Loire route. Between Blois and Tours the cycle route tend to pull inland in large sections, which is a shame as its seen by many to be the most scenic section. They do this because of the traffic adjacent to the river. I had no issue with the traffic but it was hardly relaxing.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There's a great site at Bracieux https://europe.huttopia.com/site/camping-les-chateaux/ we stayed at a couple of years back,handy for a visit to Chambord which is amazing with plenty of easy riding in the beautiful countryside and handy for the Loire,and the cities of Blois and Orleans.Nice area :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden