South Downs Way - Petersfield - Amberley - Hassocks - Southease - Eastbourne

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
SamWarrenCycling

Re: South Downs Way - Petersfield - Amberley - Hassocks

Post by SamWarrenCycling »

I've always wanted to do this route! The scenery sounds stunning, and you can out some proper hard yards in as well - best of both worlds. I'm planning on using the GPX file I got from here - its an interesting blog post and a solid route. Anyone got any recommendations for alterations to the route?!
http://bit.ly/2JAgjyA
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

SamWarrenCycling wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for alterations to the route?!
http://bit.ly/2JAgjyA

Your route looks fine. Do some internet research. I don’t remember the site but found one with all water points listed. They are not all obvious but knowing where they are takes away the concern about fluid resupply. You will get through a lot of water.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

I finally got around to doing the second leg of my SDW tour today - Amberley to Hassocks. The trail is bone dry all the way. I came off route part of the way so missed about 3k of SDW and decided to have coffee in Shoreham. It was a long detour and a very long climb from sealevel up to Truleigh Hill to rejoin the trail. I started at 1pm and was at Hassocks at 7.30pm.

Those are the Jack and Jill windmills in the distance. SDW on right.
LinusR

Re: South Downs Way - Petersfield - Amberley - Hassocks - Southease - Eastbourne

Post by LinusR »

With the unusually warm weather this week I seized the chance to chip away at another two sections of the South Downs Way with an overnight stop at South Downs YHA, Southease. Two short days of 25k starting at Hassocks Train station and ending at Eastbourne station. Trail is still nearly bone dry all the way.