Oban to Connel Sustrans route 78

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MaccPaddler

Oban to Connel Sustrans route 78

Post by MaccPaddler »

Does anybody know...

I'm riding the Oban to Inverness Sustrans route next month.

The Sustrans route number 78 follows B roads to Connel and thence onwards to Fort William.

But...there is a very minor road that goes past Glencruitten golf course and follows the course of the railway, and joins the A85 just outside Connel. The OS mapping shows the road but gives the impression that it stops at a point called The Summit.

I used google streetview to whiz along the minor road and it looks rideable, although potholed and muddy in places and would have the benefit of being fairly flat, and pretty much traffic free.

Has anybody got experience of using this minor road please?

I do need to be Camusnagaul in time to catch the last ferry to Fort William, so if the minor road/track is slow going, then I need to know.

If I'm better to stick to the standard Sustrans B-roads route for speed and ease of use please advise!
ambodach

Re: Oban to Connel Sustrans route 78

Post by ambodach »

Stick to the Sustrans route. The surface of the wee road is said to be appalling and there are gates as well. Not been on it myself but this is local opinion. Said to be OK for 4x4s and as an emergency route.
MaccPaddler

Post by MaccPaddler »

Thank you for your advice. We will stick to the Sustrans route.
feefee8

Post by feefee8 »

Take the number of the Camusnagaul ferry from the website and call him if you’re running late as he might be able to hang off if you’re within a reasonable distance.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What happens if one misses the Camusnagaul ferry, is there an alternative route?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What happens if one misses the Camusnagaul ferry, is there an alternative route?

You could swim across. Otherwise its about a twenty mile detour whichever way you go.

Best to make the decision when you arrive at the Corran ferrry. It's a little over 10 miles to Camusnagaul from the slipway at Corran.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What happens if one misses the Camusnagaul ferry, is there an alternative route?

The Corran ferry to Camusnagul ferry road is very nice, try and give yourself time to enjoy it. There is nothing (well a bus shelter) at Camusnagul. If you miss the ferry you have a long trip round the loch with some busy roads into Fort Bill. Definitely a good idea to have the number of the ferry with you!
feefee8

Post by feefee8 »

If you miss the boat and I'm about you can pop in for a cuppa - I live 4 miles from Camusnagaul :D

It's a lovely cycle all the way round. The A830 is quite a fast road but mostly the wind is behind you by that point.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Go over Corran Ferry if at all possible. The A82 from Corran to Fort William is suicidal. The speed limit has been reduced to 50 mph to try to reduce the number of accidents as the road is mostly narrow, winding and busy.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Ledaig to Benderloch section of the #NCN78 #CaledoniaWay work is under way

3E30C447-093A-431F-A60F-F7C45293378D.jpeg

By summer, the 40 miles from Connel to Fort William will be traffic free
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Does not look like through the caravan site from the pic. I will be over next week in that area for a look. Much needed as the bit being bypassed is dangerous due to fast traffic coming from or to the bridge. It has been reported that pedestrians on the Lora View section around the airport have been objecting to bicycles according to my grandkids. Mind you they may not have been blameless. I was young once myself.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

feefee8 wrote:If you miss the boat and I'm about you can pop in for a cuppa - I live 4 miles from Camusnagaul :D

It's a lovely cycle all the way round. The A830 is quite a fast road but mostly the wind is behind you by that point.

Thread drift!
But have you read " Island Years" by Frank Frazer Darling.
He lived nearby and said book is rather a lovely thing. I treasure it.

Just realized this is an old thread! Sorry.
feefee8

Post by feefee8 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
feefee8 wrote:If you miss the boat and I'm about you can pop in for a cuppa - I live 4 miles from Camusnagaul :D

Thread drift!

I haven’t read it but will try and source a copy - sounds interesting.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

feefee8 wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:

Thread drift!

I haven’t read it but will try and source a copy - sounds interesting.

I read it many years ago when I was living on Mull. Great read.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.