Poole or Portsmouth??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Woodtourer

Poole or Portsmouth??

Post by Woodtourer »

This summer we will be flying to Heathrow and then working our way to the coast for a ferry to Cherbourg. I see that there are 2 departure points. Is one more preferably than the other?
Thanks!
Cunobelin

Re: Poole or Portsmouth??

Post by Cunobelin »

Heathrow to Portsmouth is shorter!
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

apart from what Cunobelin said, the ride along to Poole could be nice.
I've riden from Poole to Portsmouth several times and it's a nice ride. The best bit being the New Forest.
peterdpusey

Post by peterdpusey »

Woodtourer wrote:This summer we will be flying to Heathrow and then working our way to the coast for a ferry to Cherbourg. I see that there are 2 departure points. Is one more preferably than the other?
Thanks!

I always go Portsmouth but then I do live on the Isle of Wight. You could always cycle through the Newforest to Lymington jump on the car ferry to Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight (it’s a beautiful crossing) cycle around the island, about 60 miles, to Ryde then catch the Wightlink fastcat from Ryde into the heart of Portsmouth. You should be able to get a return foot passenger ticket for your crossing and bikes don’t need booking. Just an idea.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Portsmouth is a better ferry terminal if you have to wait. Poole ferry port is pretty much tarmac and little else.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

The lifeboat college in Poole does good accommodation. The route through the new forest and along the coast is very nice. I don't really know Portsmouth.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I cannot comment on the ferry services themselves, and it may be that the schedule or price of one of them will be the most decisive factor for you. Both places have a range of accommodation, so if you want a night in a basic low cost budget hotel there will be no difference. Both towns can be reached by train if you have an emergency on your way riding down from Heathrow. The ferry terminal in Poole is a little way from the town centre, and reached via a bridge, but the Portsmouth terminal is a similar distance from the town centre (although it would be on your route riding in to Portsmouth).

However, Poole and Portsmouth are quite different, and one might appeal to you more than the other, if you find that you are going to be spending a day there while waiting for the ferry. Portsmouth is an old city with a lot of naval history, e.g. HMS Victory is one tourist attraction. It is quite densely populated (it is technically an island) and it's a bit down at heel in places. Poole is more modern, and a bit more upmarket as a consequence of being a wealthier area.

For me, a key factor would be how pleasant the ride was to either town, and how pleasant it was to ride through the town. On that count, I think Poole wins: because Portsmouth is a densely populated island, and the areas north of the city are also heavily conurbated, it's not a nice place to ride through. The countryside in the Meon Valley north of that would be your logical route, and it is very nice, but thereafter it's busy roads.

As stated above, the ride into Poole is nicer. Not only the route through the New Forest, but also the roads of neighbouring Bournemouth and Christchurch are pleasanter to ride through. Cycling along the Bournemouth seafront esplanade is prohibited between 10am and 6pm in July and August, but it's possible to ride through mostly quiet residential streets close to the seafront instead. Another option would be to swing west and reach Poole by cycling through the Isle of Purbeck (not actually an island) and take the chain ferry from Shell Bay to Sandbanks, then ride round Poole Harbour. If you are feeling very (and I do mean very) flush, there are some very nice hotels where you could stay overnight in Studland in the Isle of Purbeck, before catching the chain ferry the next day.
Last edited by slowster on 19 Apr 2018, 5:44pm, edited 2 times in total.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

One thing I should have mentioned is this. The plants to take a bus with all our gear to Reading. Pend the night,get our kit together,ten ride from there.
Not sure how that would influence which port.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Portsmouth would be a bit nearer, you could stop at the Watercress Line on the way and do the Meon Valley route
Portsmouth people are very well behaved apparently, must be to do with military discipline, their soccer team won the cup, 40 000 people celebrated. There was one arrest

You could visit Poole next time, or on the way home
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
slowster

Post by slowster »

The plants to take a bus with all our gear to Reading. Pend the night,get our kit together,ten ride from there.
Not sure how that would influence which port.

I think your plan is a good one: it will be easier and quicker to get out of Reading and into pleasant riding countryside than cycling from Heathrow.

The distance from Reading to Poole looks to be greater than Reading to Portsmouth, but even then that will depend on your route, and the terrain will also be a factor.

If you ride from Reading to Portsmouth, you will probably need/want to choose a route that uses the country lanes and goes through the small villages. For example, although the A32 from Chawton to West Meon would potentially be the most obvious road for part of your journey, it's not a nice road to cycle along because it's a main road with a lot of fast traffic, and the straightness of much of the road combined with its relative narrowness results in cars and lorries overtaking cyclists at 60mph with insufficient space. Ideally you want to avoid A roads as much as possible, especially those with a one or two number suffix, e.g. A3, A34 or A31, which are generally the busiest. B roads are better, but unlikely to be as nice as the unnumbered country lanes.

So rather than use the A32 I would plot a route using the narrow twisty country lanes that pass through villages like Privett and East Meon. The downside of such a route is that it will be a bit longer, and such a route would probably entail more lumps and hills (which may or may not matter to you depending upon your fitness, gearing and the loads you are lugging)

If you ride from Reading to Poole, the distance will probably be further but also much flatter whilst still being very scenic. One obvious possible section of the route would be to ride down the Test Valley, joining it west of Basingstoke at Overton or Whitchurch and cycling along the country lane that mostly runs parallel to the Test River and passes through villages like Stockbridge, and head south towards Romsey before turning southwest towards the New Forest.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Hi woodtourer

Recall I sent you the GPX for Reading to Poole ? It depends on what you want to get out of your few days in the UK before hitting France.

Reading to Poole would take two days.You would take in the canal path between Reading and Newbury then head south through the Berkshire Downs (Watership Down - Brighteyes ? )Then the historic New Forest . All quiet roads and plenty of decent off road. The approach to the Port of Poole is scenic and quiet via Wimborne and a dedicated cycle path (route 25) until the last mile or so. The sail out of Poole Harbour is glorious.

Portsmouth is a city full of history but quite built up and I'm not 100% sure of a route in although people should be able to help. You could take in the Mary Rose and HMS Victory.

It depends on your timetable . If you need help getting out of Cherbourg and down the peninsula plus campsites, I've done various routes, just PM me.