getting out of Malaga Airport on a bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
oldun

getting out of Malaga Airport on a bike

Post by oldun »

Hello , i am just wondering if anyone has ridden out of the airport in the direction of Malaga city centre and if so any tips ? I have done a street view but i think it dates from 2008 when there seems to have been major works going on at the airport .
The roads around the airport do seem very bike unfriendly and as i will be arriving at 11.45 pm it will of course be dark .

Any info will be appreciated .
bikerwaser

Re: getting out of Malaga Airport on a bike

Post by bikerwaser »

I am not sure , but I think all work has been done to the area around the airport.

As you say, the roads around the airport are a bit bike unfriendly. I'm unaware of any bike routes directly from the airport to Malaga city ( doesn't mean there aren't any) but what I would do is head directly south along to the coast where I found a cycle lane.
Unfortunately it doesn't start until you are over the river Guadalhorce.
Once you're over that river then the cycle path starts pretty much immediately and goes to the heart of the city.

other than that there is a train that goes from the airport.

If i come up with any other info i'll let you know.

Suerte y disfuta !

bikerwaser
oldun

Post by oldun »

Bikerwaser....thanks for your reply .
The last train , i believe , is around 11 pm , so by the time i have recuperated and unpacked my bike this would not be an option . I don,t suppose a bike would be acceptable by a taxi driver either .
It looks like bright bike lights , hi vis jacket and a bit of luck will have to be the order of the day .

As you say , once across the river there does seem to be a cycle track .

Once again ....thanks
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

Coaches usually take bikes (bagged or boxed preferred) and can often be booked online.
horizon

Post by horizon »

oldun wrote:The last train , i believe , is around 11 pm , so by the time i have recuperated and unpacked my bike this would not be an option .

By the time you've recuperated and unpacked, you won't have too long to wait for the early morning train. I would definitely plan to overnight at the terminal (if you've got your Thermarest with you then even better). It's friendly and safe.

Unless people can update this, the last few times I got to and from the airport was via a short stretch of motorway (on the hard shoulder) before hitting the urban roads - finding one's way in the light is bad enough. However.there have been road works recently so if anyone knows of an inslalled bike path that would be interesting (though not at night).

Coaches will take bikes but AFAIK the airport shuttle cannot accommodate them.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
whoof

Post by whoof »

When are you going as I am flying there in early June? We are heading in the other direction but doing a loop and will be coming back to the airport from Malaga. If I'm going before you I'll report back, if it's the other way around I would appreciate the same.

I did try Cycletravel which is usually very good.
http://cycle.travel/map
However, it gave the route below, unfortunately the green off road section is ford. Which for some reason is the last picture below.
M1.jpg

I've tried to reroute it over the M21 which looks (from maps and Google satellite) to be the easiest option for riding. There's about 2 km on the M21 with a hard shoulder then bike paths. It depends on whether you are aloud to ride on it and the volume of traffic.
Attachments
M3.jpg
M2.jpg
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've just remembered we are heading toward the centre as we also have a late flight and have booked a hotel for the first night just across the river.

Looking more closely at the maps there are more minor roads running next to the M21

m4.jpg

They run out when it gets to the bridge but there's a footpath.

m5.jpg

I've had a quick look at joining roads and the bridge and there don't seem to be any signs saying no bicycles, carts etc that you often see in Spain so if you wanted to ride the road it appears to be an option.
mjr

Post by mjr »

whoof wrote:Looking more closely at the maps there are more minor roads running next to the M21

It also looks possible to get from Calle Argonautas in the airport complex to Makro and then there's a ramped footbridge cross the MA21, which is what cycle.travel suggested to me. Then when over the bridge with only a footpath next to the MA21, there's a gravel track off to the right which eventually leads onto tarmac cycleways by the MA22 near the coast.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
oldun

Post by oldun »

Horizon....thanks for your input and staying at the airport may not be a bad option as trying to get out of the airport at night on roads that seem to be bike unfriendly may not be the best idea .

Whoof.....I am planning mid September so any info you can find would be great for me . There is a track that runs on the other side of the runway perimeter fence near to the river, which heads northwest which is the direction i want to go , ( Cordoba , Salamanca ) but it is just getting to the other side of the river at night on a bike that is problematic at the moment .

Mjr ....thanks for that ,i will have a closer look at google maps later .
randonneur

Post by randonneur »

Its was over 10 years ago when I last cycled from the town centre to the airport, so certainly had no detailed map, and fespite trying to stay off motorway type roads, had no alternative but to use them for some sections. No one hooted so probably legal, but who knows? Alternatively there are quiet roads leading directly inland from the terminals where hotels can be found after about 6km.
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

Having cycled to and from the airport many times over many years I've used the N340 (now the MA21) many times without any problems. Yes the cars tend to drive fast but since the MA20 opened the volume has reduced greatly. I used to loose sleep about it but the reality was that there really wasn't a problem. The same with many other N roads in Spain. Drivers are generally far more courteous than in the UK and are used to cyclists on the road. So use the service road and the pavements and you'll soon be cycling on the hard shoulder. Take care but don't let it ruin your holiday.

Woof, I recently drove the section to the Churriana turn. There is no hard shoulder, just as when I've cycled it, but it is relatively short. There is the option of taking the N348 which connects via a number of small roads to El Penon but that involves a tunnel under the airport and that would really scare me.

Enjoy your tours
whoof

Post by whoof »

oldun wrote:Horizon....thanks for your input and staying at the airport may not be a bad option as trying to get out of the airport at night on roads that seem to be bike unfriendly may not be the best idea .

Whoof.....I am planning mid September so any info you can find would be great for me . There is a track that runs on the other side of the runway perimeter fence near to the river, which heads northwest which is the direction i want to go , ( Cordoba , Salamanca ) but it is just getting to the other side of the river at night on a bike that is problematic at the moment .

Mjr ....thanks for that ,i will have a closer look at google maps later .

Sorry for the delay I couldn't find this post.
We landed late at night and ride to the hotel that I indicated. We went over the ma21 and whilst it wasn't great it also wasn't busy at 1.00 am. On the way back we came from the East into Malaga along the coast into the centre. We then went to Decathlon and a beach near the airport. This meant going over the bridge at about 3.00 pm. It was very busy and we just went as quickly as we could. Not pleasant but I've ridden worse.
oldun

Post by oldun »

Hey Whoof...Many thanks for your reply .
I don't know why ( maybe old age ) but i am feeling a bit ill at ease with my plans of getting from Malaga Airport to the city at night . I am thinking of shipping my bike to a hotel in the city with a company called "Luggage Mule " , however as always, it is down to cost in the end . I will do a street view of the route you suggest as really any nearby hotel will do for me , then i can find my way the following morning .

I will be riding to Santiago in the North of Spain , so the return to Malaga Airport is not a problem .

Once again thanks for your imput .
whoof

Post by whoof »

oldun wrote:Hey Whoof...Many thanks for your reply .
I don't know why ( maybe old age ) but i am feeling a bit ill at ease with my plans of getting from Malaga Airport to the city at night . I am thinking of shipping my bike to a hotel in the city with a company called "Luggage Mule " , however as always, it is down to cost in the end . I will do a street view of the route you suggest as really any nearby hotel will do for me , then i can find my way the following morning .

I will be riding to Santiago in the North of Spain , so the return to Malaga Airport is not a problem .

Once again thanks for your imput .

The ride from the beach at Guadalmar to the airport was fine. There's a hotel in this direction about 2 miles from the airport, the Malaga Hotel Picasso. It's not cheap but might be an option.