Some of the UK's best wild places for walking and cycling – chosen by Guardian

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

Some of the UK's best wild places for walking and cycling – chosen by Guardian

Post by mercalia »

Most of the places have no interest for me as too far away, not in my back yard so to speak. But the last one - Aylesham to Coltishall, the Bure valley, Norfolk is. Has any one been on this short walk/ride? It is just north of Wroxham and the Norfolk Broads, so certainly I will have a looksee when next up that way

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/apr/19/11-uk-best-wild-places-chosen-by-outdoor-experts-walking-cycling-adventure?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=272036&subid=7646217&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
Last edited by mercalia on 24 Apr 2018, 2:30pm, edited 2 times in total.
mjr

Re: 11 of the UK's best wild places – chosen by Guardian outdoor experts

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:Most of the places have no interest for me as too far away, not in my back yard so to speak. But the last one - Aylesham to Coltishall, the Bure valley, Norfolk is. Has any one been on this short walk/ride? It is just north of Wroxham and the Norfolk Broads, so certainly I will have a looksee when next up that way

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/apr/19/11-uk-best-wild-places-chosen-by-outdoor-experts-walking-cycling-adventure?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=272036&subid=7646217&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

I've been there many years ago, riding the narrow-gauge railway a bit and walking a bit, I think. It's beautiful and pretty accessible but I would recommend checking out some of the other river valleys too, such as the Yare (both sides of Norwich), Wensum (the bit around Ringland is an especially nice ride so close to a city - currently threatened by motorists wanting to bulldoze the A1270 through to join up with the A47) and Nar (Litcham, Lexham, Castle Acre, South Acre, West Acre). It's probably not too difficult to link them into a tour, maybe as an alternative to one side of the more common Norfolk Coast Cycleway (National 1 / Regional 30) and Two Rivers Cycleway (Regional 30) loop.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Eleven places to avoid? :?
Unless one wants to meet Guardian readers :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

It's just up the road from me, and while it is certainly very pleasant it hardly classifies as a "wild place" even by UK standards. Norfolk does though have hundreds of miles of very quiet country lanes, taking in beautiful countryside, pretty villages, river valleys, and lovely country pubs - well worth a tour.
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

mjr wrote:I've been there many years ago, riding the narrow-gauge railway a bit and walking a bit, I think. It's beautiful and pretty accessible but I would recommend checking out some of the other river valleys too, such as the Yare (both sides of Norwich), Wensum (the bit around Ringland is an especially nice ride so close to a city - currently threatened by motorists wanting to bulldoze the A1270 through to join up with the A47) and Nar (Litcham, Lexham, Castle Acre, South Acre, West Acre). It's probably not too difficult to link them into a tour, maybe as an alternative to one side of the more common Norfolk Coast Cycleway (National 1 / Regional 30) and Two Rivers Cycleway (Regional 30) loop.

It's a shame there doesn't appear to be an off-road link from Wroxham to Norwich as that would make the Marriott Way followed by the Bure Valley railway path a nice traffic free circular ride from Norwich.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Eleven places to avoid? :?

lol +1

Most "wild places" are anything but ... even the Cairngorms are like Tesco's on a Thursday .....
Here's and old definition ....."If you can drive there, it's not a wild place".

I have been lucky enough to have been to real wildernesses... but they are far and few between in the northern hemisphere.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

landsurfer wrote:
Most "wild places" are anything but ... even the Cairngorms are like Tesco's on a Thursday .....

I have been lucky to have been to real wildernesses... but they are far and few between in the northern hemisphere.

There is always the sea.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:

lol +1

I have been lucky enough to have been to real wildernesses... but they are far and few between in the northern hemisphere.

These fora are quite good for meeting Guardian readers %)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

[quote="landsurfer"]

The Cairngorms are hardly a real wilderness. They have been severely modified by humans.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

landsurfer wrote:

lol +1

The disadvantage of such "real wilderness" must be all those military or ex-military types prancing about with guns in camouflage fatigues! :wink:

I think I might stick with Wild Wales (parts of which are pretty empty) and the odd Guardian reader in hand knitted pullis!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

PDQ Mobile wrote:[

The disadvantage of such "real wilderness" must be all those military or ex-military types prancing about with guns in camouflage fatigues! :wink:

I think I might stick with Wild Wales (parts of which are pretty empty) and the odd Guardian reader in hand knitted pullis!

"Ex military types prancing about with guns" ..... i suggest you contact the Police right away .... Let us know how what happens....
Be more Mike.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

landsurfer wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:[

"Ex military types prancing about with guns" ..... i suggest you contact the Police right away .... Let us know how what happens....

Just posers with blanks mostly. :wink:
Police attendance unnecessary.
The wilderness usually sorts them out.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Just posers with blanks mostly. :wink:
Police attendance unnecessary.
The wilderness usually sorts them out.

AAhh ... So "Army Dreamers" ...
Not ex- military veterans ....
Glad to hear that ...
Always get a bit annoyed when people start giving grief to those that have served their country.
Be more Mike.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

lol +1

might be supporters of brexit getting ready for the new empire?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Having been to one of those places many times over the last 45 years and even rode my bike there with camping gear :)
I can say that Ducks Pool Dartmoor is not that remote or wild, some other places on Dartmoor you would not want to be in bad weather because of whats underfoot are more wild for sure.
Ah "best wild places" well its still not ducks pool, like cranmere pool very uninteresting both memorials (cranmere?) hard to find in mist as apart from the item there are no other features close.

Wales has lots of space so could be wild, Scotland is more dire and remote and weathers bad too.
Best places, probably top of some hill somewhere.
You can walk on Dartmoor all day and see no one, certainly wales is big enough on the hills in Snowdon, pennines in bad weather or even good walk for days and not meet a soul, Scotland in winter on even a path and not see anyone for a week as I have done.
Bad weather keeps them home.

I have just been watching Channel 4's "walking The Himalayas" now that has some wild places, where even they did not war in Afghanistan.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.