Isles of Scilly

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: Isles of Scilly

Post by simonhill »

On my tour of the SW a few years ago, I left campervan and bike at the Land's End airport and backpacked over there. I flew on the light plane, a great way to travel as you hardly seemed to get above the 300 foot cliff height take off altitude.

I camped for 4 or 5 days, which was enough time to visit most of the other islands and also walk all round the main one.

I wouldn't think you get much time ashore on a day trip and think it a bit of a wasted journey. Go, but stay at least a day and treat the Missus to more than just a (vomit) cruise.

Edit: Ooops, forgot to say, I really liked the place, a pleasant slow pace of life apart from the frenetic gig racing.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Mick F wrote:It seems that if you live in Devon or Cornwall - and can prove it - you can catch the ferry over to Hugh Town from Penzance as a day return for £25 per person. Offer is open until October.

Theoretically - in principle - Mrs Mick F could take the train to Penzance, and I could cycle there, and we could stay overnight.
Then we could take the morning ferry and I could take the bike, cycle round every single road on St Mary's (15miles perhaps) whilst Mrs Mick F has a leisurely wander round the town, then we could meet up and take the afternoon ferry back to Penzance to stay overnight again.
Following morning, she gets the train home, and I cycle home.
All it needs is for us to get this organised.
75miles each way to Penzance from here. I could take one route there, and another route home.

What's not to like? :D :D

Did you know that it's £26 to take your bike?

Isles of Scilly Steamship Group
Packs bikes into a luggage hold and therefore must be booked in advance due to the limited availability of space. Bicycles are £26 return (inc trailers) and children’s bikes and scooters (under 5) are £10. Visit http://www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk for more information.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/guide ... bike-ferry
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

whoof wrote:Did you know that it's £26 to take your bike?

SCILLONIAN EXCESS LUGGAGE
Cost £26 per 50Kg return
(including camping and diving equipment)
Bicycles £26 return
(inc. trailers and collapsible bikes) Children’s bikes & Scooters (under 5) £10
Kayaks / Canoes £72 return
Please book your excess luggage in advance. Camping and diving equipment can also be taken, but please pass any gas cylinders to quay staff for safety. Musical instruments and fishing rods must be flight cased for shipping and bicycles appropriately protected for the journey. Motorised wheelchairs will be loaded free of charge, but please do still book them in advance. To book your excess luggage please call our travel centre on 01736 334220.

Absolutely stupid in the extreme.
How can they give an offer of £25 per person, but expect bikes to be "bicycles appropriately protected" for £26?

Why are motorised wheelchairs free of charge, but a bicycle "appropriately protected" costs £26?
Weird in the extreme.

It's worth a phone call.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Because bikes and luggage take up a lot of space

To make hiring a bike on the islands more attractive

€€€!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

................ because the crossing by Scillionion is generally rough, and they won't want to suffer the consequences of an expensive broken Mercian. :wink:

Look at this.
Mercian Ferry.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's £25 per person plus £26 for a bike (suitably protected) day return.
Two of us plus my bike = £76

But .................... the offer is also for a car with two adults and two children for £69 day return .............. and your bike could be in the back of the car!
What you do with the car when you get there, is another issue of course.

This all needs more research.
Mick F. Cornwall