Cycling from Inverness to Perth

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
beeb

Cycling from Inverness to Perth

Post by beeb »

As part of a tour from North of Scotland to Provence, I need to get across the Cairngorm mountains.
Does anyone know the state of the cycle path alongside the A9. Is it do-able or has it fallen apart?

thanks all for any recent knowledge or updates

beeb
randonneur

Re: Cycling from Inverness to Perth

Post by randonneur »

The Sustrans Route 7 essentially follows the route of the A9 as far Pitlochry, often using sections of the old A9, and other minor roads, you pass to the west of the Cairngorms, but there are several passes involving reasonable climbs, Drumochter being the highest at at 1500ft., only cycled most of the route a couple of weeks ago and the path over Drumochter was fine, except occassional localised loose gravel where contractors vehicles surveying for the widening works had crossed the path. Beyond Pitlochry, Route 7 heads west towards Aberfeldy so not sure of the route towards Perth
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is the cycle path being widened again, or the a9?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

They are dualling the A9 in its entirety from Perth to Inverness I think.

I heard it was only costing 3 billion, that's 3 thousand million quid.

All the best, Simon
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

It was all rideable on 28 mm tyres last time I did it, though some sections would have been more comfortable on fatter, softer tyres.

Go to http://cycle.travel/map, click on start, click on end and have a look. It's mostly parallel roads, bits of the old A9, or cycle tracks alongside the A9. The only bit that shows as unsurfaced is a section just the Inverness side of Tomatin, on the way up the Slochd (apart from a couple of easily bypasses bits going out of Pitlochry and into Perth).
You can click on the route for streetview, or for photos from geograph.org.uk (map below photo shows exactly where taken)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

SimonCelsa wrote:They are dualling the A9 in its entirety from Perth to Inverness I think.

I heard it was only costing 3 billion, that's 3 thousand million quid.

All the best, Simon

Where will it end? A motorway throughout and a bridge or tunnel to Orkney, I'll be beound :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
keithg

Post by keithg »

randonneur wrote:The Sustrans Route 7 essentially follows the route of the A9 as far Pitlochry, often using sections of the old A9, and other minor roads, you pass to the west of the Cairngorms, but there are several passes involving reasonable climbs, Drumochter being the highest at at 1500ft., only cycled most of the route a couple of weeks ago and the path over Drumochter was fine, except occassional localised loose gravel where contractors vehicles surveying for the widening works had crossed the path. Beyond Pitlochry, Route 7 heads west towards Aberfeldy so not sure of the route towards Perth

If you want to go to Perth, you must, about 3 miles south of Pitlochry.
1. Leave NCN 7 at Logierait and go to Ballinluig, a mile away, at Ballinluig, follow Route 83 to Dunkeld and then N77 to Perth. This avoids a very scenic but rough track just north of Dunkeld. The downside is you’ll be beside the noisy A9 for much of the route.
Or 2. leave NCN7 at Logierait after the old railway bridge, a few miles south of PItlochry and then follow N77 to Dunkeld and then follow the well signed route to Perth.
I think signage should be pretty clear, I helped put most of it in.
lvabd

Post by lvabd »

From Aberdeen here

Did that route a few times. Doable on touring bike indeed, but far from enjoyable as quite many km are very much next to the dual carriage way. If you got time (and a good gearing ratio ;) ) I would advice you to check out the other way: Tomintoul, the Lecht (15% on small bits, but totally doable on touring bike with triple. Good brakes needed on the way down), and then either Glenshee (via Braemar) which leads straight to Perth, or Cairn o mount (via Ballater and Aboyne), then Kirriemuir and Perth. Both have a much nicer scenery than the west part, at least for me, and much more enjoyable roads. Avoid the coastal cycle network though (via Montrose): large chunks on a fast A-road.