New Trangia Duossal (V2.0) pans now available again.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
slowster

Re: New Trangia Duossal (V2.0) pans now available again.

Post by slowster »

I am puzzled why they thickened the Stainless steel layer in the V2 Duossal then.....

I don't know. It might be a matter of available materials (I suspect Trangia buys the laminated aluminium/stainless sheet, rather than manufacturing it itself), quality control, durability of the steel layer, the required/optimum thicknesses for bonding the two metals etc. etc.

does the stainless layer need to come up to the lip

I think the aluminium and stainless steel are bonded in sheet form, and then cut and shaped to form the pans, rather than the stainless steel being applied as a coating to the aluminium at the end of the process. In old fashioned copper cookware the lining is tin, which has a low melting point and consequently is applied after the copper has been beaten/rolled into shape, but modern high end copper cookware is now usually made with an inner layer of more durable stainless steel, and generally those pots and pans are straight sided without even pouring lips, despite their extremely high cost, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mauviel-MHerit ... FNFGNEWP97

I suspect that trying to roll the edge of the bonded aluminium and stainless steel is either not technically feasible or would be prohibitively expensive.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

From photos the V2.0 duossal lip looks more pronounced so perhaps that problem (see OP) has been fixed:

can anyone confirm that from reality? :)
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Bike24 is doing both the full sets and individual pans in duossal 2
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=7& ... 5B860%5D=1
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

the frying pans come up on ebay every now and again I picked up 2 large and 1 small last year for a decent price to try and match up to my SIGG traveller pans that are over 20 years old but came with stainless steel lids/plates/frypans that definately do not work as a frypan which expanded and warped when she cooked bacon on full blast like she does (every non stick frying pan in the house even the ceramic ones have been ruined by feminine impatience - and slimming world recipes). sigg pans did come as a trangia style setup but do not fit into a standard trangia windbreak. as a result the big fry pans are massive but the little one slots perfectly into the top of the pans. most annoying. but defo better than using an alloy one. just need to be brave enough to season one and see if I can nonstickify it.

I've managed to match the old sigg lids with various cheapo non stick frypan/lids over the years but they'd only last an outing or two before the teflon was too damaged and would end up being scrubbed off with paint stripper. the trangia non stick coating is a lot better.

my latest trial works rather well - non stick pan liners. two versions - a thin type from poundland that's flesh coloured and a much heavier black type made from the same stuff you use as oven liner. cut and mould to shape then cook on top of it. a bit odd but it works.

and if anyone knows how to bash a buckled pan lid flat again I'd be interested.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

slowster wrote:...
I think the aluminium and stainless steel are bonded in sheet form, and then cut and shaped to form the pans, rather than the stainless steel being applied as a coating to the aluminium at the end of the process.....

But why not make a steel inner (perhaps supported on former to help hold its shape if steel layer is to be the thin one) then spray/dip/<fill in correct method> it in/with molten aluminium (low melting point)?

A pity they could not match the weight of the UL pans more closely..

I wonder why they have never made the kettles in UL material?
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

SA_SA_SA wrote:
A pity they could not match the weight of the UL pans more closely..

I wonder why they have never made the kettles in UL material?

the kettles are a lot harder to roll out on an existing design compared to a simple pot - the time and costs probably wouldn't be effective.

alpkit did a titnium kettle but other than being a gizzit probably not much use to the lightweight crowd.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/ketul
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

crazydave789 wrote:
...I wonder why they have never made the kettles in UL material?

the kettles are a lot harder to roll out on an existing design compared to a simple pot - the time and costs probably wouldn't be effective.

alpkit do a titanium kettle ......https://www.alpkit.com/products/ketul

Trangia could have simplified the kettles to be more pot-like in the style of one of these but in UL aluminium...:
https://www.seatosummit.co.uk/products/camp/cooking/x-pot-kettle-13-litre/
They are other pan like kettles which unfortunately don't fit neatly in a trangia and are also either heavy or expensive so plenty of prior art thus no IP worries in my opinion.

NB alpkit have stopped making that ketul, but given that trangia now seem highly resistant to new ideas perhaps alpkit might make the above....
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

Except if you're a) using a Trangia and b) taking a dedicated kettle, then the ~45g saving from using something like a Ketul rather than the standard one probably isn't worth the money...
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

But a pan-like kettle as suggested should be compared to the weight of the inner pan AND standard kettle...assuming the inner pan is only used for boiling/simmering stuff in water like pasta....
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Also,a 1L++ pan-like kettle as suggested, allows a mug to be stored sideways in it due to the large lid opening...
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

Fair enough; though I still reckon that if you're the kind of camper that will discard a kettle in favour of a dual-use pan because of the weight savings, you're unlikely to be using a Trangia in the first place...