2-3 day tour from Carlisle

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tinribs

2-3 day tour from Carlisle

Post by tinribs »

Got about 2.5 days to do a tour starting and finishing in Carlisle. Considering th following:

Option A:
day 1: head east along Hadrien's wall cycleway
day 2: head south then west towards Alston.

Option B:
day 1: head north east through/round kielder forest park.
day 2: continue north east to coast (Bamburgh/Lindisfarne) then train back to carlisle next day.

I'll be using a touring bike 32mm tyres, planning on camping as weather looking good.

Any thoughts or advice? Looks like the route back west across Pennines is particularly hilly.

May thanks
Paulatic

Re: 2-3 day tour from Carlisle

Post by Paulatic »

Crossing the Pennines is always hilly.
You don’t tell us what your preferred daily/total mileage is. Are you determined to head East? You’ve also SW Scotland accessible from Carlilse.
A route I’ve done may times from Carlisle is along the Solway Coast, head into Cockermouth then Keswick, Penrith, and Eden valley back up to Brampton.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
amaferanga

Post by amaferanga »

Have you considered heading straight up past Kielder on day 1 and then heading towards Hawick - Roberton - Ettrick Valley - Eskdalemuir - Langholm - Newcastleton - Carlisle. Some great scenery a very little traffic.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think either of your routes looks nice. Are you planning to do any sightseeing? There are some brilliant views from atop Whin Sill. I also liked some of the museums, and walking on the wall at Housesteads.

If you aren't interested in that stuff, how about south along the coast, Mawbray, Maryport, etc, and back through the Lake District?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Another vote for Dumfries and Galloway. I'll be up that way myself next week, based near Kirkcudbright.
amaferanga

Post by amaferanga »

If this is for the bank holiday weekend I'd definitely recommend avoiding the Lake District if you want a bit of peace and quiet.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

As if on cue...my Twitter feed today
https://www.sevendaycyclist.com/cycling ... er-country
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
tinribs

Post by tinribs »

Thanks so much for all your suggestions and advice, it's looking dry so might even dust the bivvy bag off. Staying just west of Carlisle tonight so still to decide for definite. I'll post an update!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Please report back, particularly if any bivi ventures.
Sweep