Bridges

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
colin54

Re: Bridges

Post by colin54 »

Mick F wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 7:24pm

Rode from there down to Bridge 15 .............. and thence to 14 and 13 at the Drumbridges Roundabout over the A38.
NA pointed out - from local knowledge - that there's a cycle bridge just north of it. This means that I have to re-number my records! :D :D
Bridge 15 in reality is Bridge 16.

That made me laugh out loud Mick, fair play to you, proper commitment re-numbering the records !
Sounds like you had a great day.
Nu-Fogey
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Been a good day.
Mick seemed pleased to see me :)
Weather perfect.
Riding was hard enough, averaged over 70% effort for the 7 hours in the saddle.
Riding time with mick was more laid back which helped.

I did rib Mick on the software he used to design the course after the third pass of one bridge............ :mrgreen:

We got to the top of Telegraph Hill and Mick says how fast you going to go?
50...........I hit 48.3...... :P
We did manage a sarnie in Chudliegh before big push up Haldon hill.
Didn't help much as we ended up walking :lol:
After leaving Mick I decided to cycle back on the Exe Trail to Dawlish, headwind all the way.
glad to get home was about 2 kg lighter, pizza a few cans and ice cream :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
For Mick :)
Attachments
2021-10-02_222019.jpg
2021-09-26_213941.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks. :D
Notes from my program.

Dist 38.7miles
Total ascent 3997ft = 103.25ft per mile
Max gradient 17% ............... felt much steeper!
Min gradient -21.9%
Ave speed 8.8mph
Max speed 45.7mph
Max Elevation 817ft
Max temp 83.7degF
Min temp 58.1degF
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

My knees are aching just reading this!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Merry Christmas to you all. :D :D

Dunno if many of you are familiar with the A30 west of Exeter, but as you no doubt all know, I've cycled over every bridge from Exeter to Penzance.
79 of them.

However ......................

There is/was an eight mile stretch of single carriageway of the A30 from Carland Cross to Chiverton Cross with only one bridge (Bridge 58 at Zelah) across it there. It's a farm entrance and footpath.

It seems from what I've read and Google Earth it, that Bridge 58 is being rebuilt to span across the new dual carriageway, and new bridge being constructed further along where the B3284 crosses the A30. It was a terrible bottleneck.

This means that I have to do the new Bridge 58 and the new bridge 58A(?)
Sounds like I have a new ride to do! :D
A30 Improvements.png
Screenshot 2023-12-25 at 10.05.19.png
Screenshot 2023-12-25 at 10.07.55.png
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Glad your back on the saddle. If a bridge is split in 2 sides do you ride both?
Merry Xmas to everyone.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good morning!

The photo of the two bridges, has the old Bridge 58 on the right, and the new (longer to span the forthcoming dual carriageway) Bridge 58 to the left. I expect they will demolish the old one as it'll be in the way.

The other photo is of the new bridge .......... I'm going to call that 58A, rather than re-numbering 59 to 79.

I'm a bit unclear about the plans. It's possible that there could be another one.

Here's the info that I found.
Map.jpg
The writing at the bottom, where it says: "Twobarrows Bridge. Existing bridge re-used for dual carriageway" seems a little odd as the existing bridge is the actual A30 and not a bridge over it. Also, Chiverton Cross will be on "two levels" meaning that there could be another bridge over the A30. Also too, there's going to be another bridge at Chybucca.
OS Map.jpg
Bridge 58 is the green road to Tolgroggan and the Twobarrows is the B road .......... under the A30.
Mick F. Cornwall
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

There's also a new cycle bridge at Chiverton. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-67640749 . You can't yet cross it though. Maybe by Easter if we're lucky.
Chris F, Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What I may have to do, rather than wait for maps to be updated, is drive to Chiverton and back to assess the new bridges.

Maybe, have the bike in the car, drive to Chiverton and assess, then back to Mitchell (good layby to the west of the village) and leave the car there and ride west over the bridges and then back to Mitchell to drive home.

Michell has had a dual carriageway bypass for years and the bridge there is Bridge 57.
The dual carriageway west of Chiverton is/was Bridge 59 with Bridge 58 at Zelah over the single carriageway section.

It's 57 to 59 that I'm not sure about now. Could be a 58A and a 58B to do .............. 58C and D?
Plus the new Bridge 58.

First stab at a route gives a 25mile circuit coming back a different route than going out to give a variation.
Mick F. Cornwall
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Mick F wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 2:36pm What I may have to do, rather than wait for maps to be updated, is drive to Chiverton and back to assess the new bridges.
I wouldn't bother driving down the A30 until later this year; it's currently all a big mess with diversions and closed roads all over the place. I suspect that the OpenStreetMap (and possibly Google) maps will be updated before the new road is officially open.
Chris F, Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, it's a spring time ride next year methinks. I'll let the dust settle before I do it.
Mick F. Cornwall