Bridges

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
colin54

Re: Bridges

Post by colin54 »

I'm not quite sure of it's purpose but it's on the way up to Rivington Pike, I was up there on wednesday

for the first time , terrific views .

I'm rained indoors at the moment, normal West Lanc's service has been resumed,

it's tipping down.

We need the rain though, here's a picture of the river feeding one of the reservoirs up there

P1100105 (640x480).jpg
Nu-Fogey
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick F wrote:Thanks, but when I looked, it was a list of churches in Cornwall, not a list of C of E Parishes.
Can you give me a link please?

I love old churches and I have a number of "Sources" that I refer to:

Betjeman's Best British Churches (Note the App is now out of date and does not work on some platforms)

Simon Jenkin's England's Thousand best Churches

Simon Jenkin's England's Cathedrals

National Churches Trist - Expolre Churches Website

Britain Express - Historic churches in Cornwall

I am more interested in the church than the denomination, as I do not hold any particular loyalty. In fact I do feel (personally) that as historical buildings, this detracts from their value if it puts people off. For example, there is a Quaker meeting place at "Come to Good":

This is as atmospheric, quiet and tranquil as any other church, and missing out on the experience would be a tragedy

Finally another site I came across is Cornish Churches which aims to cover all the Churches in Cornwall, but also lists a few other isn other counties. It is a detailed list of the exterior and in many case interior.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
On subject yesterdays ride-
Attachments
Image00445ARIAZ.jpg
Image00447ARIAZ.jpg
Image00446ARIAZ.jpg
Image00444ARIAZ.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cunobelin wrote:I love old churches and I have a number of "Sources" that I refer to:
Thanks, very interesting.

If you fancy a trip to Cornwall and love old churches, St Nonna's at Altarnun is well worth a visit ............. but it's always very very cold inside. I mean it, very very cold. Going in there so see it, you can't stay long unless you wear arctic clothing.

http://www.cornishchurches.com/Altarnun ... /index.htm
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.60451 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick F wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:I love old churches and I have a number of "Sources" that I refer to:
Thanks, very interesting.

If you fancy a trip to Cornwall and love old churches, St Nonna's at Altarnun is well worth a visit ............. but it's always very very cold inside. I mean it, very very cold. Going in there so see it, you can't stay long unless you wear arctic clothing.

http://www.cornishchurches.com/Altarnun ... /index.htm
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.60451 ... 312!8i6656

I am thinking of it...

I am off work for 8 weeks breaking in anew hip.

It has been hell having time off in this good weather, and not being able to get on bike or drive.

So I am promising myself a driving tour of Cornwall to catch a few places I have missed in the past. Altarnun, Zennor and Gunwalloe as well as a few of the crosses.

This will probably be October as I should be fit enough to drive, and this type of tour will only be relatively short distances.... About 800 miles door to door

I also want to visit the church at Whitchurch Canonicorum. The only church apart from Westminster Abbey to have a complete saint still in residence in their original shrine! I have detoured on several cycle tours, but there has always been a funeral or something else preventing access when I get there!

As for warmth I prefer a cape when out with the cameras, so will be taking my Fjallraven cape.... it saw me OK in both Svalbard and Norway over he last couple of years in -23 C
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Off this morning to park up at Truro to ride out to bridges 53 to 58, and they will be the last.
I'll be doing the ride clockwise, and going north to Zelah for bridge 58 first, then zig zagging up to 53 at Fraddon, then back to the car via Laddock.
Bridges 53 - 58.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Saw this too late, if I'd known I could have come out and waved at you as you nearly went past my house.
Well done for completing the project.
Chris F, Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Having followed your roads in Cornwall and Bridges i have started planning my minor project of M18 Bridges followed by M180 Bridges ... Thanks for the steer ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Cunobelin wrote:
I also want to visit the church at Whitchurch Canonicorum. The only church apart from Westminster Abbey to have a complete saint still in residence in their original shrine! I have detoured on several cycle tours, but there has always been a funeral or something else preventing access when I get there!

It always surprises me the discoveries on this forum. I was on top of Gold Cap a few days ago. We often go up and down that bit of coast using our bus passes. I have cycled past that church on an audax years ago. I will be adding it to my next visit. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

ChrisF wrote:Saw this too late, if I'd known I could have come out and waved at you as you nearly went past my house.
Well done for completing the project.
:D :D
Waves belatedly!
landsurfer wrote:Having followed your roads in Cornwall and Bridges i have started planning my minor project of M18 Bridges followed by M180 Bridges ... Thanks for the steer ...
Excellent! :D

We drove down to Truro yesterday morning, and parked up at Garras Warfe. Expensive at £8 for over four hours.
I went off on Mercian, and Mrs Mick F spent a happy few hours doing some retail therapy, and I set off through the town heading northwards to Zelah. I left at 10:15.

Bridge 58 was easy down a lane out of the village, and I doubled back and joined the heavy traffic heading towards Carland Cross. I peeled off to the right to follow the lanes round to Mitchell for Bridge 57 then turned east for 56, 55, and 54 each time crossing them, turning round, and heading back across.

Bridge 53 is a footpath/bridle way and found by turning off right up Fraddon Hill on the Old A30. Up and up and up, and over. The bridge is near the summit of Highgate Hill. I went right across this bridge and headed southwards mainly downhill for over eight miles via Laddock and the Old A390 west of Probus.

Joined the A390 and turned off left a mile or two from Truro and followed narrow lanes to bring me out on the roundabout by the Radio Cornwall offices, and along back to Garras Warfe by Tesco. One or two of the roads I took were new roads to me, so they will be recorded as New Roads on my Cornwall route map. :D

30miles but with only 2,500ft of ascent. That latter eight miles downhill did that! Back at the car 1pm.

Bridge 58 at Zelah is over the Zelah Bypass, and as usual, that bit of A30 is clogged. They plan on dualling that stretch from Carland Cross to Three Burrows so it will hopefully sort it out.
View from Bridge 58.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Re: Bridges, Mills, Ditches, Hotopp, Paddle-steamer

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mike Sales wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:The locks on the Elbe-Luebeck Kanal are operated by gravity only, no external power is needed (Hotopp system), +99, but if the locks are rebuilt they will have electric pumps, not sure why, maybe to save a few seconds (the barges do 9 kmh)

I had never heard of the Hotopp system, so I have looked it up. Ingenious. What a pity that they are being scrapped. It seems not all are though.

The locks of the Elbe-Luebeck-Canal were constructed in 1898.
They started operation in 1900 and still are still working well today. A first thorough renovation of some locks has been done in early 2006 leaving the original Hotopp system in function.
Apart from water they do not need any other source of energy.

http://www.autokaffee.com/DDD/Hotopp2.html

More maritime history in Luebeck today to divert from football, a paddle-steamer Kaiser Friedrich offering trips (270 passengers), it is very long and had to go backwards to find space to turn
There used to be be Kettenschiffe on the Elbe too, they dragged themselves hundreds of kilometers along chains, one is preserved in Magdeburg, saw it from the train :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Been pouring over maps this morning and have decided to do the 56 bridges over the A38 Exeter to Bodmin.
The A39 starts in Derby I understand, and comes down to the Westcountry via Bristol/Exeter/Plymouth/Liskeard/Dobwalls/Bodmin.

Bridge 1 is very close to the M5 as was Bridge 1 over the A30.
Last bridge of the 56 isn't as far as Bodmin, being just west of Dobwalls over the new Dobwalls bypass.

I've sort of sorted a first stab. From here, over Dartmoor to Ashburton, then zig-zag my way towards Exeter doing bridges 18 down to 1. Best part of 60miles, then let the train take the strain for the homeward leg.
16 -20.jpg
9 -16.jpg
5 -10.jpg
1 - 5.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
When you off Mick :)
My area, done all off them some several times a week.
5 is tricky as it a dual (70) 50 mph cycle coasting down hill only ! but done it many times.
12 is a cycle bridge.
13 is a roundabout as is 14, but there is also a cycle bridge at 13. there is also a cycle path linking 12 with 13.

P.S. 11 also links with 12 with a cycle path, near 12 you will see dismantled railway that went to exeter IIRC.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I was riding in a road race in 1973, came down telegraph hill in the bunch. (Bridge 5 on your map). We were overtaking all the traffic which were restricted by a 50mph speed limit to conserve petrol during one of the Arab Israeli conflicts of that era. (Yom Kippur). I was too frightened to touch my brakes despite the speed we were doing in case it resulted in an accident. The way we were passing the motor traffic probably meant we were doing in excess of 60mph :oops:. Much less traffic in those days. Wouldn't be allowed in current times.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
In the early eighties I used to cycle Paignton to Exeter and back once a week for a year, down and up telegraph hill, in those days coming home was 25 miles, and up the hill and done in 1 & 1/4 hours, in the dark.
Also have run up telegraph when I was training marathons, train to Exeter and run home, there is a bridle path east of the hill which I came up once on the bike, slashed both tyres on a glass bottle, but did not go flat :)

After 5 get off left and climb to the racecourse, not sure but you will have to cross two duals to get to the racecourse side and follow the dual west for a couple hundred yards (not through the race course I think no way? I didn't last time) to a left leading to Harcombe, nice lane and quite too, easy after that.....but expect some hills.

Ah your doing 18 - 1 so its easy after 5 to 1 :)
6 to 5 you might want to stay off the dual by going north rather than Harcombe.

Edited-
No way along dual so - 6 - 5 old exeter road and spicer road mC donalds and under a 38, you probaly worked that out already.