Bridges

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Bridges

Post by Mick F »

Bridge 79 (last) just this side of Penzance.
Bridge 79.jpeg

Footbridge and footpath, but at the southern end there's no warnings, but on the northern side, it says no bikes. I came in from the southern side. :D
South ....... https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.13037 ... 312!8i6656
North ....... https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.13123 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Off riding tomorrow AM to bag Bridge 6 near Tedburn St Mary. I'm booked on the train home from Exeter again.

I telephoned Eversfield Organics earlier and asked them nicely if I could get onto their bridge. (Bridge 30) The nice lady said that she'll ask and get back to me. Not heard anything yet, but if I can, I can bag that one on my way and join the Old A30 and head towards Exeter from there.
https://www.eversfieldorganic.co.uk/ind ... -us_94.htm
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorted! :D
They said that they don't own the land on the other side of the bridge, and it's gated and locked so I can't go across and keep going. I'm happy to get onto the bridge, then turn round an go back the way I came.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Is 79 all the bridge's you can find in cornwall, where are you now on numbers :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sitting in a pub just down from Exeter station having completed bridges 30 and 6
I'm a very happy bunny. :D
Pint of Tribute near finished but I'll be getting another one or two I have no doubt.

Difficult typing on a small iPhone 5 so I'll give a full report this evening or first thing tomorrow.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Flying into bristol airport recently i took the Falcon Flyer to Taunton ( used my bus pass) There was a cyclist on the bus going to Drumbridges and they put his bike in the luggage compartment. Bus passes are accepted between Plymouth and Cullompton and between Taunton and Bristol, subject to time of day ie after 9.30am. (This is hidden away in the FAQ) even take folding bikes :lol:
https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-an ... est-falcon

You could bag all the bridges between plymouth and bristol for your next day off :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Left home soon after 7am yesterday and headed north to Bratton Clovelly, turning into the private road down to Eversfield Organics. The gate was open as I arrived at going on 9am and people were arriving at work there. Cars were overtaking me on my way in.

I found the main office and introduced myself and spoke to the lady I'd spoken to on the phone. Megan, and a very personable young lady too. She was one of the people who overtook me on the way in and guessed who I was.The officer manager(?) chap went outside with me and explained to route to the bridge, with a warning that there's a little wooden bridge that is rotten and dangerous and I would be crossing it at my own risk!

Off I went down the track and eventually found the wooden bridge, and he was right! I picked my way across it over the little river, and round a corner and up to Bridge 30. Gates across held together with string, so I lifted Moulton over, rode across and back, then retraced my steps back to the office and thanked them profusely for letting in in. I gave them a resume of my bridge travels, though I'm not convinced that they understood my sanity in all this. :lol:
Nice friendly people, and it was great to meet them. I asked why the lorry was there and asked how they got it there or even how they were going to get it off the bridge. They said it's been there for years and they're going to put a banner on it to advertise. The lorry is a wreck and bits are dropping off it!

Photos at the end of this post.

Off I went easterly to get to Bridge 6. Not much to say about it, except that the track up to it was rough and rutted and access was through a broken wooden gate fastened with with string, so I opened it, rode through and across and fastened the gate and left for Exeter.

I taken a packed lunch and headed into the city to Cathedral Green to sit down on a bench to scoff it. Then off to the station to pick up my ticket, then a beer or three at the Mill on the Exe pub and then back to the station to get the train to Plymouth and Gunnislake.

Excellent day out and a great relief that I've done the two problematical bridges.

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Is 79 all the bridge's you can find in cornwall, where are you now on numbers :?
79 bridges in total from Exeter to Land's End. Bridge 1 is at the A30/M5 junction Exeter. Bridge 79 is at Longrock Penzance. No bridges between Penzance and LE.

These are the pickies of the lorry. You can see how overgrown the track is. The third is of the wooden bridge. The photo is vertical, it's the bridge that's not horizontal!
IMG_0529.jpg
IMG_0530.jpg
Attachments
IMG_0531.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Still confused :?
These 79 bridges are only bridges exe to lands end, or just ones on the route, or something I am missing as there surely are more bridges in total?
What categorises the 79 bridges?
Duh should of read OP :oops:
"To this end, I want to ride over all the bridges over the A30 between Exeter and Land's End. Underpasses are boring, so they don't count."

That wooden one goes over a used public road?
Maybe you have described it in an earlier post, I will read..............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have ridden over every single bridge over the A30 from Exeter to Penzance - minus six of them which I will get to in due course from Truro.

The rickety wooden bridge was over a little river on the route between Bratton Clovelly and Bridge 30.

I went south through Ellacott. You can see the river on the edge of the woodland and you can see Bridge 30.
The road to Ellacott and to Bridge 30 is a private non-public road and that is why I needed permission.
Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 13.42.33.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick F wrote:Sitting in a pub just down from Exeter station having completed bridges 30 and 6
Pint of Tribute near finished but I'll be getting another one or two I have no doubt.

Difficult typing on a small iPhone 5 so I'll give a full report this evening or first thing tomorrow.

Your next project... drinking all the Cornish beers?

(Except anything ny Sharps which is actually American (Coors))
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cunobelin wrote:
Mick F wrote:Sitting in a pub just down from Exeter station having completed bridges 30 and 6

Two things .......
No way would I buy any Sharp's beers any more.
They used to be nice, until they produced Doom Bar. All their beers are all much of a muchness now, with no character whatsoever. Bland in the extreme. Blame Bill Sharp selling his business to Coors.

Next project?
A mate suggested to me a week or few ago, who suggested I should visit every parish church in Cornwall. I like this idea, and I have tried to find a list of parishes - Church of England - but no luck so far, but I haven't put much effort into it yet. I could ask our local vicar to help as we know him quite well.

Locally, there's (in no particular order) Calstock, Linkinhorne, Callington, North Hill, St Dominick, St Mellion, Launceston, Liskeard. Loads of others I could think about, but further afield I'm a bit hazy.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

Mick F wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Two things .......
No way would I buy any Sharp's beers any more.
They used to be nice, until they produced Doom Bar. All their beers are all much of a muchness now, with no character whatsoever. Bland in the extreme. Blame Bill Sharp selling his business to Coors.

Next project?
A mate suggested to me a week or few ago, who suggested I should visit every parish church in Cornwall. I like this idea, and I have tried to find a list of parishes - Church of England - but no luck so far, but I haven't put much effort into it yet. I could ask our local vicar to help as we know him quite well.

Locally, there's (in no particular order) Calstock, Linkinhorne, Callington, North Hill, St Dominick, St Mellion, Launceston, Liskeard. Loads of others I could think about, but further afield I'm a bit hazy.

Wikipedia has a list of parish churches in Cornwall. Looks like quite a few hundred of them, so should keep you busy for a few weeks... :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks, but when I looked, it was a list of churches in Cornwall, not a list of C of E Parishes.
Can you give me a link please?
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Whilst on the subject of bridges, here's one I took a picture of the other day when I was out.

You may recognise it Mick.

P1100108 (640x320).jpg
Nu-Fogey
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

colin54 wrote:You may recognise it Mick.
You have the advantage of me.
Can't say I recognise it at all. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall