bordeaux to sete

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
banjaxed

bordeaux to sete

Post by banjaxed »

Hi all, I'm about to cycle along canal de garonne and canal du midi and would like to know if these routes are signposted and how they compare with the Eurovelo signs (which I kept missing on my last tour!). Many thanks.
RobinS

Re: bordeaux to sete

Post by RobinS »

From memory the Garonne and the very first bit of the Midi are reasonably well signposted, and a good canal-side cyclepath. Along the Midi the route deteriorates to, at times, a narrow rough muddy singletrack six inches from the water, only really suitable for MTBs. There are however plenty of small roads nearby you can follow, but you do need a decent map.
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

banjaxed wrote:... I'm about to cycle along canal de garonne and canal du midi ...

Entre-2-Mers ... here some pictures ... if you like ...
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

The good thing about following a canal is that regular signposting isn't really necessary. If you can't see the water any more you've taken a wrong turn :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, the Garonne from Bordeaux to Toulouse is great for riding on. Heading south, the Midi is OK as far as Port Lauragais whereas after that you'll make impossibly slow progress even with a mountain bike. The path is poor quality - very bumpy - and you'll have a sore behind in no time. Better find a route on the road instead - http://cycle.travel should do a good job.

BTW - the coast path between Agde and Sete is spectacular. I have happy memories of a sun-filled morning riding between Agde and La Grande-Motte.