Loop on Dawes Karakum? What's it for?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
sbutton

Loop on Dawes Karakum? What's it for?

Post by sbutton »

Hi, I've just got a Dawes Karakoum and there's a loop which goes over the front wheel sticking up and forwards at around a 45 deg angle. Does anyone know what this is for? (sorry if this is really obvious). :?:
Cyril Haearn

Re: Loop on Dawes Karakum? What's it for?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Might be a lamp bracket
Could you post a photo?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
whoof

Post by whoof »

Possibly part of a front rack?

rack.jpg

or it could be to relieve General Gordon but that might be a Dawes Khartoum.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

whoof wrote:Possibly part of a front rack?

It is indeed part of the front rack assembly, presumably to strengthen it and to reduce the risk of one of the top front corners of the rack getting bent inwards and fouling the wheel. It also serves to make the rack one component rather than have two separate ones mounted one each side of the wheel.

(Karakum owner)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

jgurney wrote:
whoof wrote:Possibly part of a front rack?

It is indeed part of the front rack assembly, presumably to strengthen it and to reduce the risk of one of the top front corners of the rack getting bent inwards and fouling the wheel. It also serves to make the rack one component rather than have two separate ones mounted one each side of the wheel.

(Karakum owner)

as he said - strenghtens the low rider pannier brackets on the front fork. Someone posted pictures of forks broken by low rider pannier carriers without the bar, due to the weight in them. I have low riders that dont have the bar but my forks are stronger than normal and are attached properly thru the fork rather than using brazed on eyelets
drossall

Post by drossall »

I'd be concerned riding with front panniers and nothing to stabilise them. I've got a similar arrangement with a Tubus front rack on my Mercian tourer. There are other ways of achieving the same aim, including for example having a top platform (as on a rear rack). There are also some designs that do rely on attachment to the forks only, and are stable, but forks are very narrow things to attach a relatively wide pannier and rack to.
sbutton

Post by sbutton »

Cool thanks, that makes sense now. Have never used front panniers yet, and never been touring so will be lurking in this forum for a while to pick up some tips!
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Excellent advice and views by previous posters.

My pannier racks don't join at the top but I can see the advantages of this design.

I have seen front lights attached there.

Good luck with future tours. It's a gold mine of info here.
Invariably given freely and in good spirit.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.