Bikes on Venice Airport Bus?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ubert767

Bikes on Venice Airport Bus?

Post by ubert767 »

We are finishing a tour in Mestre near Venice in June. Does anyone know if the airport bus from Mestre to Marco Polo airport will take a couple of bikes in flight cardboard boxes ( each at approx 160cm x 80cm x 25cm )
Thanks,
Rob
whoof

Re: Bikes on Venice Airport Bus?

Post by whoof »

I would ask these people.

https://www.rometoolkit.com/venice_visi ... sfers.html

I've been on the standard public yellow bus from Mestre to Venice and they can be quite busy and there's no luggage space. But the ATVO bus shown in the picture is more a coach than a bus with luggage storage underneath. However, as most people going to the airport will have luggage they still might not have room for bikes in boxes.

We stayed in Mestre a couple of years ago bought some plastic sheeting from a hardware shop in Mestre and rode to airport. It's was 8 km of nice riding through quiet lanes.
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

Thanks for the information Whoof.
We shall have CTC bike bags with us but, that old chestnut, are uncertain about their acceptance as being suitable packaging at check-in! My wife doesn't handle the stress well so I thought I'd be complient.
Rob
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've been flying a least once a year for fifteen years with mainly EasyJet and occasionally Flybe and always gone out with a cardboard box and returned with plastic sheeting or a tarpaulin and it's never been questioned.

But then telling your wife some bloke on the internet said everything will be OK probably won't put her mind at rest.