Eurovelo 4 east from Cherboug

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mxg01

Eurovelo 4 east from Cherboug

Post by mxg01 »

According to this website - http://www.eurovelo.com/en/eurovelos/eu ... ies/france - it's a developed route but doesn't have the signposts. Anyone know if it's signposted at all? It appears on my phone's OSMand map but signposts are easier to follow than a screen. I'm arriving fairly late for the distance I want to do so anything to make this easier will help. Thanks.
hamster

Re: Eurovelo 4 east from Cherboug

Post by hamster »

There's a very decent path east from the ferry port, but it kind of runs out and gets confusing as you climb inland after a couple of kilometres. Signs suddenly appear on the opposite side of the road etc. I navigated with my map but kept encountering and missing them. That was 2016.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Where are you heading?

The signs pop up in random places (but nowhere near the port) and it doesn't make a lot of sense. The EV4 routes (there are two ) are extremely risk averse and aimed at super safe cycling...ie kids and families....its quicker just to ignore it as most roads are quiet within reason.

I think I've done every route out of town. The easiest but not the quickest would be the coast road east keeping the sea to your left as you wont go wrong. Any other route involves the big hill out of town but no real problem . Its worth downloading the route from here http://cycle.travel/map if you can, otherwise just wing it I guess.
mxg01

Post by mxg01 »

Thanks both, I'm heading to the campsite at Jonville. It looks great sticking out into the sea. I'll keep the map to hand, the sea on the left and ignore the signs. Thanks again.
ossie

Post by ossie »

mxg01 wrote:Thanks both, I'm heading to the campsite at Jonville. It looks great sticking out into the sea. I'll keep the map to hand, the sea on the left and ignore the signs. Thanks again.

Decent choice . I stayed there the year before last en route back to Cherbourg. Lovely municipal campsite backing onto the beach . There's a great little cafe / restaurant next to the light house with stunning views, easy access from the site. Its about 30 miles on the coast road and ideal first night stop.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Agreed that EV4 is over quiet and really wiggly. D116 east is nice and quiet as all the (limited) traffic takes the D901 further inland.
I'll be doing the same route in a fortnight, although staying at Barfleur.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Great info! We will be taking the ferry from Portsmouth in mid August. Looking forward to our first tour through France!
mxg01

Post by mxg01 »

I've 'planned' the route. Turn left out of the ferry port then:

D116 to Barfleur
D1 south to D328
D328 to Jonville

Pretty simple. If the ferry is late then there are a good few campsites along the way.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Rode this earlier in the week, very quiet. One little trick is the cycle route that avoids the dual carriageway from the port to the D116. See here: http://www.cherbourgtourisme.com/decouv ... -cyclables