Gas canisters in Bishkek.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Ant...

Gas canisters in Bishkek.

Post by Ant... »

I'm off to the Pamir highway next week, anyone know of a store in Bishkek where I can get gas canisters from? Just a lot easier than petrol. Thanks.
matt2matt2002

Re: Gas canisters in Bishkek.

Post by matt2matt2002 »

None there in 2015.
Folk here should be able to help
https://caravanistan.com

I want to return but latest airfares have almost doubled since I flew there.
I used Turkish airlines. Edinburgh via Istanbul.

May I ask your travel arrangements/ flights?

Here's my blog from my trip.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/PamirHighway2015
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Ant...

Post by Ant... »

Turkish airlines, Heathrow-Bishkek Via Istanbul. Return Dushanbe-Heathrow via Istanbul. £460, plus 180euros for the bike.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Thanks. I'll have to take another look.
Maybe flying from Edinburgh added the extra.

Good luck. Very envious.
Route,?
Khorog, Murgarb.....?
Bartang valley appeals to me.
Alichur was remote and for me summed up the whole way.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

maybe pack a second option or learn how to rustle up a pop can stove or two. a simple tuna can will burn pretty much anything flammable or a cheap folding wood stove so you can burn wood and save gas when you can.

I'd also look at refill adapters as those chinese butane cans with the bayonet fittings are everywhere so you can either adapt it to your stove or use the cans to refill your regular can. it's easier than you think and canisters will refill at least ten times.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Been to Kyrgyzstan a few times, climbing, not cycling.

We always used petrol cookers when away from base camp, cheap and easy to buy fuel, not always that clean. At base camp gas was always used, but this was the large sized cylinders. The locals are happy to refill gas cylinders of various sizes, not unusual to see them doing so at the side of the road. Crazydave's idea of a refill adaptor sounds a good one, utilising the local approach of reuse. I don't know of anywhere in Bishkek that supplies smaller cylinders, but suspect any of the myriad markets in and around Bishkek would have an adaptor / something suitable for you or would make something that would work for you.

I think we've been with Turkish Airlines in recent years (was BMA before that), from London via Istanbul, certainly around the £400 mark. Last time we went visa no longer cost £50, but must be at least 2 years since last there.

Good luck.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
dondelion

Post by dondelion »

I bought gas from the Korean shop in Bishkek when I was there about 3 years ago. A Korean motorcyclist told me that Korean shops all over Asia always sold gas. It is supplied in vertical cans and you will need an adaptor to convert from the push nozzle to a screw thread. I can't remember where the shop was other than near a university building. The shop sold Korean food, Korean clothing and household goods. Don't know if this is any help at all...
hufty

Post by hufty »

matt2matt2002 wrote:Thanks. I'll have to take another look.
Maybe flying from Edinburgh added the extra.

Good luck. Very envious.
Route,?
Khorog, Murgarb.....?
Bartang valley appeals to me.
Alichur was remote and for me summed up the whole way.

Keep trying is all I can say. I also was getting double prices compared to last year and had given up on going, but have just picked up a dirt cheap single flight for July although it's from Stanstead rather than Manchester. Now just got to work out how to get back... unfortunately the most obvious thing to do is not an option...
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

dondelion wrote:I bought gas from the Korean shop in Bishkek when I was there about 3 years ago. A Korean motorcyclist told me that Korean shops all over Asia always sold gas. It is supplied in vertical cans and you will need an adaptor to convert from the push nozzle to a screw thread. I can't remember where the shop was other than near a university building. The shop sold Korean food, Korean clothing and household goods. Don't know if this is any help at all...

it gives him a good option to either refill or use an adaptor, a tenner should kit him out with the means to refill from bayonet, lighter fuel or tall screw top cans of the blowlamp variety.

my experiments last year I could refill my dumpy gas cans then get a few brews or a meal from the gas left in the donor can. stable on a flat worktop but you can get clip on bases from old blowlamps that work or someone sells them online, there's also a tripod kit to convert rocket type stoves to take bayonet cans for a few quid. not so hard to keep it propped up though so you could be quite happy just using the cheaper cans.

Korean corner shops - excellent - endless cup noodles and something to cook them with.