Riding in and around Cesky Krumlov

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Garry Booth

Riding in and around Cesky Krumlov

Post by Garry Booth »

Does anyone have any experience of riding in the Cesky Krumlov area? We're heading that way beginning of July and I'd be interested to know whether bikes and and/or their wheels are more or less likely to get nicked than anywhere else when unattended. Sounds like a slightly paranoid question but I'm just wondering which bike to take...
b1ke

Re: Riding in and around Cesky Krumlov

Post by b1ke »

I was in Czech in 2010 and my memories are of Cesky Krumlov being a very quaint town and I didn't feel like our bike was in any danger of being stolen. That said, erring on the side of caution is sensible in any town.

Actually I'm underplaying Cesky Krumlov. It's a beautiful town and I'm pleased our route took us that way.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

Thanks B1ke. G
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I was in CK just after the wall came down. Sleeping in a side road in my VW camper, with bike on the back rack. I was awoken some time late evening by someone 'touching' my bike. I don't know if they were trying to steal it or just touching it or even if it was a drunk who staggered against it. It may even have just been curiosity.

I think I probably shouted out something, but there was no further activity. I can't really say how unsafe the area is on this one isolated incident, its just that its the only time it has happened to me.

Generally I found the area safe and fascinating, but it was still very 'Eastern' then. Local beer in the countryside was a few pence for half a litre. Very different now.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Better now maybe, lots of people speak English or German, and the strangeness is still there if you look for it, just like in Wales or East Germany
I recommend trying to learn the language, you could get much more out of the trip then, and exercise your brain too
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

Thanks guys. G
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Not sure about bike safety in Krumlov (ours were stored safely in our hotel) but do be sure to ride up to the Šumava National Park. Cycling through the area was one of the highlights of a long tour I did a few years back.