The Guardian does Touring by bike in France:The Véloscénic

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

The Guardian does Touring by bike in France:The Véloscénic

Post by mercalia »

Last edited by mercalia on 21 May 2018, 4:10pm, edited 3 times in total.
mjr

Re: The Guardian does Touring by bike in France

Post by mjr »

It does indeed. Thanks for sharing!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Re: The Guardian does Touring by bike in France:The Véloscénic

Post by mercalia »

If only they had gone budget for places to stay - 75 euros/night too much for me by far
maybe if some one here does it they can report back how to do it cheapo
The word I liked was "flat"
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:If only they had gone budget for places to stay - 75 euros/night too much for me by far

You did notice that was for a double, didn't you? €35-40 pppn doesn't seem high for northern Europe hotels these days - if you're in a larger group and book whole rooms in hostels, it can be a bit cheaper, but I think you'd have to camp to go much cheaper.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

mercalia wrote:If only they had gone budget for places to stay - 75 euros/night too much for me by far

As you have the route, you can sort out your own accom at prices to suit. Just feed the appropriately spaced towns into an online hotel booking site and select a suitable place. 75 Euros is a bit expensive, I've been booking a few French hotels recently and most are in the Euro 30 (basic F1 chain) to Euro 50 for nicer non chain places.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

does it include breakfast, packed lunch and evening meal with wine at that price?
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

Interesting. I was wondering about a route to the west coast from Paris, and this could be part of it.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Funny: it's actually called the Véloscénie: https://www.veloscenie.com/

If you take the English version they change the name. How idiotic is that? I wonder where they farmed out the translation.

Imagine calling the Canal du Midi the Lunchtime Canal.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
skelo

Post by skelo »

Thanks for posting, it may be my answer to turning the avenue verte into a round-trip. no train will take my 'bent trike so i could cycle to Paris and return this way, rather than retracing my steps, and back to the UK from St Malo or Caen, job sorted! :)
ossie

Post by ossie »

I've done a chunk of that route. The greenway / old rail line routes can be tedious. Although safe and traffic free they often have a canopy of trees obscuring any views and you end up missing plenty of the surroundings. That said these routes are springing up across France, just make sure you actually get off them every now and them and see a bit of life. A bit like canal paths.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

[quote="ossie"]I've done a chunk of that route. The greenway / old rail line routes can be tedious. Although safe and traffic free they often have a canopy of trees obscuring any views and you end up missing plenty of the surroundings. That said these routes are springing up across France, just make sure you actually get off them every now and them and see a bit of life. A bit like canal paths.[/quote]

is it possible to wild camp along the route or are they literally tunnels of trees?
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

I rode up the york selby cyclepath last year and that has gone all tunnelly, it used to be nice and open with the path clearly visible at night without lights.

if the french routes are anything like that then wild camping would be a doddle.
ossie

Post by ossie »

mercalia wrote:
is it possible to wild camp along the route or are they literally tunnels of trees?

The route is extremely rural. If you set a tent up in the vicinity of a greenway or old rail line or even bang next to I doubt anyone would bat an eyelid.

There is always access to a field . Very little cycling traffic,the odd local and the even rarer touring cyclist .If you can dig out a camp site they are cheap, Ducey I recall was 5 euro (showers in the football stadium next door )with a lovely run in to Mont St Michel and beautiful views to boot.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

ossie wrote:the even rarer touring cyclist

is that the Guardian effect?