Cardboard Bike Boxes - More Choice Now

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Cardboard Bike Boxes - More Choice Now

Post by simonhill »

As a regular user of LBS provided cardboard bike boxes, I have become a bit of an expert in sizes, construction, etc.

At one time there was (normally) a fairly limited choice, with most boxes being 130 or 140 or 150 cms long. They proportionally increased in height,

Now, with the advent of 29 ers, electric bikes and other different styles, the boxes are much more varied in size and construction. Some are also wider, and may be made of thicker cardboard which offers better protection.

For me the good news is that I can now get a mid size box (141) that is a bit taller to accommodate the seat tube.

My latest box is a very usable 141x83x26 heavy duty cardboard.

My point of posting is to tell people that if asking for a box from your LBS, it is worth checking what different sizes and construction are available. If what you want isn't available, maybe wait for the right box.

Remember though, that biggest isn't always best. Firstly you should check if your airline has max dimension restriction, either length or total (l+h+w). Then consider the weight of the box as some of the chunkier ones come in at over 4kgs.

Happy travels.
whoof

Re: Cardboard Bike Boxes - More Choice Now

Post by whoof »

You also need to consider where you are flying from.
I once had a big box that was within the airlines limits. I was quite happy that I was able to leave the rear wheel in place whereas Mrs Whoof with her smaller box had removed hers. I checked in OK with the airline and then went over to the oversized luggage where they put the box through the scanner. But it was too big. The operative said 'Exeter is only a small airport', supposedly frequented by small people with small luggage. Anyway, I had to go to unpack the bike, get a knife from my hold luggage and cut the box down, repack it and buy the biggest roll of tape they had in the shop and reseal it.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Out of interest what do people do with their bike box between flying out and the return flight?

Ian
rjb

Post by rjb »

Dont make the mistake i made. Collected a bike box from a local cycle shop only to find it was too big to fit in the car. A Hyundai i10. :oops:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If you fly with a tandem get two bike boxes cut the ends off both then slot one inside the other to the required length and stitch them together with zip ties,cheap foam pipe lagging protects the frame,plastic overflow pipe cut to length and held in place with QR skewers protects the fork/frame ends.
Polystyrene sheet* cut to size thick enough to keep the chainrings off the bottom of the box and taped to the drainpipe/bottom tube like a very light but strong sled.Wheels zip tied to either side of the now protected frame.The ends of the box can be protected with polystyrene sheet* slid down either end.
The box is sealed and wrapped up with 2in(50mm)brown packing tape with FRAGILE stickers on it
We've flown with the same box numerous times with this method and kept internals (polystyrene,pipes,and pipe lagging,etc) when the box got tired. :)

*I used to use an 8x4ft(2.4 x1.2m) 1inch(25mm) polystyrene sheet bought from a builders merchants and cut to size with a bread knife.The skid/sled needs a few lawyers of poly sheet stuck together with double sided tape :wink:

EDIT:- The handlebars are remove and zip tied to the toptube and the rear mech was also removed but the cable left attached and taped between the chainstays.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

iandusud wrote:Out of interest what do people do with their bike box between flying out and the return flight?

Ian

It depends.

If I'm flying back from the same airport, I book into a nearby hotel for my first night, then check they can look after box for me and if so, I book last night there. Sometimes they can keep it full size, sometimes you may have to break the bottom and fold it flat - then maybe even fold into 3 and tie it up. This way it takes up very little space.

Using a decent hotel booking site means you can have a look at the hotel photos and read comments to see how likely they will be able to store. Also you can usually message them to ask. Some hotels offer free airport pick up, so again, check if they can accommodate a box.

If returning from different airport, then I just bin it at arrival airport and source new one from bike shop for return. I build the 'sourcing' into my trip plan, ie check availability and whereabouts of LBSs.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

whoof wrote:You also need to consider where you are flying from.
I once had a big box that was within the airlines limits. I was quite happy that I was able to leave the rear wheel in place whereas Mrs Whoof with her smaller box had removed hers. I checked in OK with the airline and then went over to the oversized luggage where they put the box through the scanner. But it was too big. The operative said 'Exeter is only a small airport', supposedly frequented by small people with small luggage. Anyway, I had to go to unpack the bike, get a knife from my hold luggage and cut the box down, repack it and buy the biggest roll of tape they had in the shop and reseal it.

I last flew from Exeter in August 2016 and I had a similar issue with size- they put my bike and juniors bike through the cargo scanner which is on the way into the airport entrance in the left hand side! They were in CTC bags though. We also take the ask the hotel nicely approach. Last time was fine- we were in a country hotel outside Amsterdam and they had plenty of outbuildings so we left a bag of packing stuff etc there (I'd,emailed,in advance to ask). We normally do one way trips though so the bag has been useful as you can pack it down in the bottom of a pannier. If I fly with an airline that requires a box e.g. if I ever do the transam then I guess it may be a case of getting hold of a box for each end.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Mrs. HJ!
A question for you!
Using the bag system, do you have a challenge with moving the bike around the airport? I can't see how it would stay on a cart. We will be flying into Heathrow later this summer on Iceland Air and plan to use the bag. We will then get on a bus to Portsmouth.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

As Mrs HJ hasn't been online, I'll add my bit.

I've only ever used a poly bag twice (a return). All I did was turn handlebars and take off pedals. Once the bike was in the bag it was almost impossible to manoeuvre apart from dragging along the ground. When on a trolley it was unstable. Fortunately i didn't have to move it far.

If you need to manhandle it any distance I would recommend working out a way of putting some sort of handle or shoulder strap on it, although beware of anything that can catch on airport baggage system.

I suspect I have asked you before, but why aren't you using a box, its what I would recommend.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Woodtourer wrote:Mrs. HJ!
A question for you!
Using the bag system, do you have a challenge with moving the bike around the airport? I can't see how it would stay on a cart. We will be flying into Heathrow later this summer on Iceland Air and plan to use the bag. We will then get on a bus to Portsmouth.

We usually aim not to move around with it and unpack the bikes in the baggage hall and then leave the airport by bike-it's unusual for us not to cycle out although obviously there are some airports where that wouldn't appeal-I'm pretty sure we've cycled into Heathrow before too although maybe we just cycled to Paddington and went on the Heathrow express. So we wheel the bikes in sometimes too with them partially ready to go, and then turn the bars, put some more bubble wrap on and put in the bike bag at the airport, close to check in. There's usually quiet corners around and departure areas are often pretty spacious.

I've always found bikes best to move around as a bike-boxes or bags are both really unwieldy and very heavy to carry especially once you add panniers (I have a collapsible rucksack bag that takes the panniers and some extra stuff but even so that's another big bag) so wheeling the bike in and out with panniers on is a nice way to go. However, I know that others have a different view and like to be boxed up and taxi at one end and then taxi to a hotel at the other end to unpack.

However when travelling with my son in 2016 he was only just 10 (and on the autistic spectrum) and I found it less stressful to prepare everything. Luckily it's usually only a short haul from the car park into the baggage drop off but you can just about balance a packed bike on a trolley either crossways or vertically.

However-word of caution for anyone using schipol- the exit doors from the baggage collection are quite narrow and it was really difficult for my son to get his trolley through and it was the busiest baggage hall I've ever been in, horrible staff. Luckily I got another passenger to hold onto one end of his bike to keep it on the trolley so it could go through the narrow door. That was the worst part of our whole trip. I'd booked a taxi from the airport to the hotel and our driver met us on the other side of the door so that was all fine.

On schipol I've been there before and unpacked my bike in the baggage area and cycled out and it wasn't that crazy-I think they've reorganised the airport so it would actually have been quite difficult to put the bikes together in the hall due to lack of space (generally baggage halls are pretty spacious). My son wouldn't be willing to do that again but luckily on the reverse trip everything was very relaxed-Exeter airport is also one of the nicest airports to fly from and to as it's lovely and small.