Kettles that fit Trangia 25?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
SA_SA_SA

Kettles that fit Trangia 25?

Post by SA_SA_SA »

What small 0.6 to 1.2litre Kettles fit the Trangia 25?
Weights would be useful.

(I am of course excluding the 190g 0.9litre official Trangia one from the answers seeing as I listed it here.. :) )
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
foxyrider

Re: Kettles that fit Trangia 25?

Post by foxyrider »

Couldn't say for certain as never actually offered up but I replaced my 0.5l Trangia with an Esbit 0.6l at 132g - wasn't keen on raw aluminium and it has a better spout and handle!
Since then i've also acquired a Sea to Summit Xpot kettle which is actually 1.3l and 186g but as you can use it as a saucepan it kills 2 birds with one stone.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

the GSI Outdoors Glacier stainless steel kettle is a nice small one

[youtube]4NDkn2QcLXs[/youtube]

about £23

The important thing is the body is all one piece, no seams to leak.

In fact its so nice a shame to use it on a fire that will smoke it. Could use also as a tea pot?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outdoors-Glacier-Stainless-Steel-Kettle/dp/B004N5WFII

works well with my cheapo wood burner
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Has anyone tried the GSI SSteel or Halulite(alu) kettles in a Trangia 25? Does it fit pan supports and when nested?
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

It seems the GSI does fit a 25:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIIv7PC1PN8
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I see the Amaxon price has gone up. £29 too much, look elsewhere
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

The aluminium( halulite) one is cheaper (and the health concerns long since debunked).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

SA_SA_SA wrote:The aluminium( halulite) one is cheaper (and the health concerns long since debunked).

maybe but hard water will react will bare aluminium and thereafter colour the flavour of the water. A bare metal one from Halfords staying near Dorking Surrey, the inside was developing a blacking coating from the water reacting wth the alluminium and it tasted "off". The halulite ones are anodised, I wonder how tough that is before it starts to come off - they aint wheel componants but items being raised to boiling point? why bother when you can get a SS one at not too high a price, that should last a life time and it is easy to defur it as you would your electric kettle at home? I was lucky when I got mine cost me just £19 from here - they dont have any in stock at the moment

https://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/cooking/kettles/gsi-outdoors-glacier-stainless-tea-kettle.htm

"Halulite says goodbye to scratches burn circles and ounces. As light as Titanium Halulite is a proprietary alloy that also conducts heat better and more evenly-so you can leave the extra fuel at home. Plus every piece is Hard Anodized to create a surface that withstands scratches and abrasions like nothing else. It's ultra light without the sacrifices. Now that's smart."

I wonder what Halulite is

if Halulite was that good why the need to anodise?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so what did you get in the end?
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

The HA aluminium optimus Terra 0.7Litre kettle fits (just about wide enough), 0 angle to hooks is important:

The offset unlatched handle is weird (but works) although I would prefer the latching wire bail of Trangia/GSI/esbit style. I don't like the lid (too tight) but fixable....
Snowyhills

Post by Snowyhills »

I can confirm that the GSI kettle does fit the Trangia 25 set, I have just received mine and tested the fit. Weight for GSI Glacier is 265g vs 190g for Trangia. With the new Duossal-2 Trangia 25 and the GSI kettle all food contact surfaces are stainless steel, waited a long time to get to this solution.