What Is It You Enjoy About Touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Psamathe

What Is It You Enjoy About Touring

Post by Psamathe »

A bit of a daft question but I really really need some inspiration. I've got to get away now and choice is between going cycle tour (France/Europe camping/loaded for foreseeable future) or disappear off to South America (for the foreseeable future). Not yet cycle toured but used to enjoy camping (but more wild camping in tropical rainforests rather than campsites). Bit worried my legs/bum might not be up to day after day - most rides are low 30's miles (without luggage) - but if you don't try you never know.

So I was wondering what people really enjoyed cycle touring (e.g. sense of achievement each dat and cumulative, the lifestyle, countryside, freedom, etc.). Impossible question - sorry.

Ian
mercalia

Re: What Is It You Enjoy About Touring

Post by mercalia »

well If you decide to o cycle touring far far away, you should first do a few days here in the UK to find out if you dont mind lugging around all your gear day in day out?
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Most of my rides in the week are less than 30 miles with a club run when I get the chance, which is less often these days. I tour most years and have no problems with daily 60 milers. Plus I'm an old git.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I like to combine a ride with my liking of Roman history. In Provence this year I will cycle between Roman historical sites, see the land as the Romans would have marched. One year I'll get round to following Hannibals' route through Spain and into Italy. Got any other interests you could combine?
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Bit of everything; freedom, achievement, nature, exploration, seeing life at a slower pace.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

Your legs and bum will strengthen and toughen as you go, just keep to mileages you find comfortable.

As to what I enjoy about touring, I've posted this before, but it sums it up for me:

[youtube]mhoQWXaQdOI[/youtube]
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Google *bahntrassenradwege* if you like cycling on old railways, not only in Germany
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Self-powered travel through rural and/or wild landscapes is what does it for me. Other favourite leisure activities are sea kayaking, canoe touring, ski touring, hill walking: the where has to be right, the how is significant. In my case, chugging gently to get to the end of the day with well earned "good tired" with (also significant) like minded company. I can operate alone quite happily but prefer to be doing that for a day or two rather than a week, but of course that's down to temperament.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The freedom to go for as far (or short) as you feel, to see and seek out stuff that interests you (and sometimes stuff you didn't know did), to boldly go where.....oops getting carried away there :lol:

You don't have to ride every day or ride far, I might do 40km one day, 150km the next, I might spend a couple of days exploring a city or just push on through.

The idea of just going sounds great but even the loosest of plans is still a plan - for me I get fatigued mentally moving on every day and I like to have some sort of incentive to the day, museum, mountain summit etc. Else why travel?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pwa

Post by pwa »

My best holidays always involve a tour of some sort. each evening in a different place. A few years back we did a lovely circular tour in Provence, with lots of cols, canyons and picturesque villages. Then more recently a canal boat tour that took in about 100 miles and loads of locks. last summer we had the hiking boots on for the Offa's Dyke Path, which is a very up and down walking route through the Marches. That was knackering but majestic. At one point I was ascending an extremely steep grassy hill on all fours with a medium size rucksack on my back, sweat dripping from my nose. This summer we are back on a canal boat for a week, taking my elderly mother. It should suit her. Getting her on and off the boat will take some doing, but once on she will just have to sit there, brew tea, read a book or admire the scenery.

Cycle touring, for me, means camping mostly. Maybe the odd B&B thrown in for variety. I like descending at speed with 4 panniers, knowing that it defies some peoples expectations. Or climbing steadily for five miles, enjoying the way my low gears just keep me going without stress. And the routine at the camp site, me getting the tent up while my wife showers, then when she returns she prepares food while I go for my shower. Then a snooze, and a stroll to a bar or just around the site. And a look at the route for tomorrow.

My earliest recreational tour was at the age of about 6 when my parents and two other relatives took a horse drawn caravan across the centre and south east of Ireland, calling in on relations along the way. It was cramped with all those people in such a small space, but it left a good memory. Looking after the horse, clopping slowly along on quiet roads, talking to friendly locals. This was the 1960s and the roads were more suitable then.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Psamathe wrote:So I was wondering what people really enjoyed cycle touring (e.g. sense of achievement each dat and cumulative, the lifestyle, countryside, freedom, etc.). Impossible question - sorry.

It's not my quote but I read once that though walking is the best way to see the best bits of a country (think everything from Striding Edge to the Dorset coast and abroad for instance Mount Katahdin) cycling is the best way to get a sense of a country. But don't underestimate the weather, if you're camping and putting up a soggy tent in soggy clothes for the third day in a row it can be a bit glum. Having said that if you're used to camping in tropical rainforests....
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

foxyrider wrote:
The idea of just going sounds great but even the loosest of plans is still a plan -.... Else why travel?

A plan can be fairly loose! Not sure yet whether I'll head off yet, but my "plan" would be to head over to the Alps via France. Suppose I may head down towards mediterranean France, though some of the other countries touching on the Alps appeal (Nb. Other than the odd journey, I'm not a high mileage tourer)

And motivation? Partially negative on this occasion; a new employment role which clearly isn't working out, a temporary employment rented house and area I've enjoyed, but have no desire to remain in and personal circumstances which don't feel great :lol:

And positive? A couple of summer months on the road at my pace; 30 miles one day, 120 the next. The flow of the landscape, great continental rivers, mountains, some impressive otherwise unheard of town/city/urban structure. That feeling on making it over the alps on some road closed to traffic, or catching that ferry at that last minute. And as a half competent musican, that utterly accidental bump into a band as in Christmas Eve Christchurch '07, Brittany '14 mid summer - may not always speak the language, but the tunes play themselves!

And cycling back up through the UK whenever I return, perhaps via that Cheddar Gorge/Chesire westerly route as in '14, or heading through the fantastic cathedral cities over in the East as partially back in '08. Who knows' perhaps even a diversion to the Norfolk Broads, first read about at 10-12, not yet seen.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Psamathe wrote:A bit of a daft question but I really really need some inspiration. I've got to get away now and choice is between going cycle tour (France/Europe camping/loaded for foreseeable future) or disappear off to South America (for the foreseeable future). Not yet cycle toured but used to enjoy camping (but more wild camping in tropical rainforests rather than campsites). Bit worried my legs/bum might not be up to day after day - most rides are low 30's miles (without luggage) - but if you don't try you never know.

So I was wondering what people really enjoyed cycle touring (e.g. sense of achievement each dat and cumulative, the lifestyle, countryside, freedom, etc.). Impossible question - sorry.

Ian

Hi Ian,
That's a hell of a question! And lucky you to have the choice! :D

First of all, I'm thinking you're deciding between a cycle tour in Europe & a backpacking trip in South America?

Bear in mind that everybody's motivation & enjoyment varies, so what motivates one is a turn-off for another. Some are hugely satisfied to roll 20 km down the road having enjoyed a good breakfast, second breakfast, lunch with beers and looking forward to a fancy dinner in a 4* restaurant beside their hotel. Someone else won't be happy until they've hit 150km for the day. For the seventh day in a row!

I've gone through a few changes in my enjoyment.
My first tour was all about being out in the fresh air (good weather!) and going at a slower pace in life than normal.
My next tour was all about freedom. I distinctly remember the moment I looked at an interesting forest that was off my pre-planned route and wandered off route. I followed the general direction of my route for the next 10 days, but the liberation of going where I wanted was the winner!
My third big tour was all about camping! Re-learning things I'd long forgotten. Coupled with the freedom I was enjoying I thought it was the ultimate satisfaction!
But I was wrong! Since then, I've enjoyed pushing my limits, both biking by taking more off-road options and camping-not just in summer. This winter I was camping in temps down to -8C. Never thought I'd enjoy that... but I do! :-)

Truth be told, these days I really enjoy my camping. There's something very satisfying being totally self-sufficient and moving to a new place every day.

Don't worry about mileage. That comes. your base level will probably surprise you.
Worry a little about a sore ass, but if you learn to listen to your body and react, you'll be ahead of any serious issues.
A decent bike, some suitable gear and some basic mechanical skills will probably be more important in the long run.

If you are considering cycle-touring vs a backpacking type thing consider the differences.
Touring on a bike can be lonelier. If you're backpacking you're generally in hostels, travelling on public transport, or maybe hitch-hiking - all with other people. If you're on a bike, especially if wild camping you have a lot of alone time.

Cities are more difficult on a bike. You need accommodation to store the bike safely. What do you do with your gear if you want to park up to wander around or visit a museum? It's doable, but a bit more difficult than a back-packing type thing. Lose your bike and you lose your transport.
Tip: Hit a city as close to dawn as possible and cycle around watching it wake up. You get to see everything without all the people.

You can carry more on a bike than in a backpack. Of course, some carry less!

On a bike you get to visit places not possible by public transport.
Just about everybody is friendlier to a cyclist!
No timetables (unless you need a train or ferry)
You do get a great feel for a country by biking through it. Changes are more gradual.... and you have the time to notice!

Of course, the best way to find out if you like it is to try a few shorter trips. It also tests out your packing in terms of what you need and don't.

Tough choice! :D
MattH

Post by MattH »

Think I mostly enjoy seeing things, going up and down massive hills/mountains, and the adventure of just being on your own miles away from anything you know.

Personally most of my rides are about the 30 mile mark unless I get a lot of time on my hands. Do longer rides from time to time but none of that really prepares you in the same way as just travelling (and climbing) with 15kg or more of luggage on the bike.

I think the average for me without the luggage on the tourer is about 15mph, but with all that stuff it's more like 10-11mph, which is perfect for seeing things on the ride and still getting a decent distance in the day.

It is pretty liberating to realise how little money you actually need to survive while having a brilliant time as well.
Si

Post by Si »

The best of many things about touring: being out of the world, being able to leave behind all the stress and worries and strife of normsl life; being able to take life just one day at a time, one mile at a time....