Lon Las Cymru

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nick12

Re: Lon Las Cymru

Post by nick12 »

Lon las cymru sound like a great ride. Im setting off on saturday from cardiff. I was wondering about buying supplies enroute .which towns have large supermarkets with food at proper prices. Last year i did the north of scotland and west coast. Thurso and ullapool where the only places with supermarkets so i carried a weeks worth of food. The small village shops were not cheap. I dont mind carrying supplies as it gets lighter every day but its easier if you can stock up on the way.looking forward to the tour. Hoping to continue on ncn5 to chester and then join the trans pennine trail back to york if all goes well and i have the time.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Shops have got better in the last few years I think!

There is a brand-new co-op in Llanfairfechan for example, village stores are open late but prices are a bit higher of course
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
robing

Post by robing »

nick12 wrote:Lon las cymru sound like a great ride. Im setting off on saturday from cardiff. I was wondering about buying supplies enroute .which towns have large supermarkets with food at proper prices. Last year i did the north of scotland and west coast. Thurso and ullapool where the only places with supermarkets so i carried a weeks worth of food. The small village shops were not cheap. I dont mind carrying supplies as it gets lighter every day but its easier if you can stock up on the way.looking forward to the tour. Hoping to continue on ncn5 to chester and then join the trans pennine trail back to york if all goes well and i have the time.

Great, you'll love it! There are plenty of towns/shops en route, it's not like the Highlands where distances between towns are much greater. Most towns have a Spar and/or Co-op and they're usually much better than my local ones.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Thanks for the info robin just read tour blog. Sounds good.hope i have good weather like you had. Nice photos.im looking forward to the trip.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Nice blog Robing. What did you do for directions? Were you able to get by following the signs?

Going to try it in a couple of weeks.
robing

Post by robing »

I used my Wahoo Bolt to navigate. I saved the route on there and it worked perfectly.. The NCN signs were pretty good on the whole, but there are some turns you could miss if you're not careful.
honesty

Post by honesty »

There’s Co-ops I pretty much every town you pass through so food should be fine to find.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Just finished llc. Although didnt do anglesey.
What a fantastic ride . Started in cardiff onsaturday afternoon, followed the taff trail which was mainly off road on a well surfaced trail following the river and the old railway to merthyr. Onto gravel tracks through the forests which was still good to ride. Camped in the forest . Midges were a nightmare (headnet came in handy).the trail continued on minor roads most of the way only saw about 10 cars not counting the short sections on the A and B roads.
Had a detour from elan village i followed route 81 on an old railway up past the reservoirs which was a steady climb then down the stunning elan valley at the farmhouse joined 818 up a grueling track to rejoin route 8.
Met 4 americans 5 welsh guys and a nice guy from chester going the other way.all in all i would say it is the best ncn route i have done so far .if anyone knows of a better route id like to know. Now im on route 5 heading to chester.
Excelent ride loved it.
dc99dc99

Post by dc99dc99 »

i just wanted to add my experience of this, especially since before completing it I couldn't find anyone who had done it in two days.

We took the fast-and-light approach. We both road Carbon Road bikes with 28mm slick tyres and carried minimal gear in a 15l bike packing saddle bag. We stayed in hotels. The route is entirely rideable by road bike, with one short 200m section of flinty roads towards the end of day one. You could either walk it, or take it carefully (or not!, as we did).

Signage is nearly all flawless this side of the Menai Bridge. Once on Anglesey, it's as if someone has taken away half the signs and you'll need the GPS route, or a map.

We started in Chepstow on Friday morning around 6:30am. We stopped for lunch at the Cwtch Cafe In Builth Wells at around 1pm, and then pushed on for Machynlleth. The last climb over the top and down into town was hard, but we got there at about 8pm just as it was getting dark. 220k and 3200m of climbing makes it a big day.

On Saturday we headed for out for Barmouth rather than taking the inland route. The ride out to the bridge is incredible and the sun came out across the waterfront. The roads are almost entirely deserted. We must have seen 3-4 cyclists all day. We reached Holyhead at around 7pm on Saturday night. 184k and 2000m of climbing for day 2

It's definitely hard to do in two days, but it's not impossible and you needn't cycle into the night or treat it other than two long days in the saddle.

Not sure whether I'm able to post links, but take a look at davidcarrbybike on Instagram if you're interested in seeing some photos of the route; I've annotated each one with story of the route. It also took a picture of all the kit we packed. We rode last August and other than a little rain on Saturday morning we were really lucky with the weather.