Roadside Recovery

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ianrobo

Re: Roadside Recovery

Post by ianrobo »

I had a bad experience on Friday ... I was going out for a ride to Ludlow and back late at night and at midnight, my Tub tyre was torn unrepairable but a large branch ...

I had to get a taxi home - cost 150 quid ! so after reading this looks like ETA is perfect as I go longer and longer distances ....
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

If you use Google Maps to find the nearest bike shop give them a ring to make sure they're open/in business. We had a broken spoke and traipsed to a nearby shop that was closed. Not much help.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

PJ520 wrote:If you use Google Maps to find the nearest bike shop give them a ring to make sure they're open/in business. We had a broken spoke and traipsed to a nearby shop that was closed. Not much help.

thats fine during a day, when it is midnight not much help ha ha, anyway joined the ETA scheme !
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

ianrobo wrote:I had a bad experience on Friday ... I was going out for a ride to Ludlow and back late at night and at midnight, my Tub tyre was torn unrepairable but a large branch ...

I had to get a taxi home - cost 150 quid ! so after reading this looks like ETA is perfect as I go longer and longer distances ....

I'm considering taking out the rescue cover. However, I'd question whether ETA would have taken you all the way home, as the taxi did. There cover is either to take you to the nearest bike shop to get repaired or to take you to the nearest train station.

If you are more than one mile from your home and suffer a breakdown to your bicycle (including punctures) which is
irreparable by you at the scene, or you are unable to complete your journey due to an injury, the ETA undertakes to
pay for the transport of the bicycle and you (if appropriate) to:
• the nearest appropriate railway station; or,
• the nearest suitable bicycle repair shop; or,
• the nearest car rental agency; or,
• the nearest hotel accommodation; or,
• your vehicle; or,
• home, if nearer

So it would only cover a £150 taxi journey if your home was nearer than a train station that would connect you to a train station near your home.

So if I suffered, say, a broken rear mech. I could call them out to take me to my nearest train station as part of the cover, then wheel the back home or get a taxi for the last leg of the journey. Or if I was staying at a YHA and doing day rides they would get me back to the hostel.

Has anyone taken out this cycle rescue cover and had to use it? https://www.eta.co.uk/breakdown/bicycle/
Bill Reynolds

Post by Bill Reynolds »

I insure my Brompton with ETA. The rescue service is limited to 25? miles from your home!
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Bill Reynolds wrote:I insure my Brompton with ETA. The rescue service is limited to 25? miles from your home!

See that’s fine, this was at 1am and whilst not expect to get home I could get to a closer hotel etc ...
essex tourer

Post by essex tourer »

I think the difference between ETA and other similar covers is that ETA has words such as suitable and appropriate in the wording, so a railway line with cycle restrictions or a cycle shop lacking the capacity to fix would not apply. It was these differences that persuaded me to take out that cover when in the past I had not.

My policy does not have a mileage limitation and does cover up to 90 days elsewhere in Europe.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I pay for and have used ETA.

The non drive side crank detached causing me to crash. I tried reattaching it but it kept coming off every few hundred yards. I was only about 30 miles from home but in the middle of nowhere and a bit shaken. I had come off at speed whilst on the tri bars on a slight descent at about 30mph, and because i was on the tri bars had no way of slowing when my foot hit the tarmac

I phoned ETA, taxi arrived within 30 minutes and took me home. I tour a lot in the UK and for the price it's a good insurance policy

I guess i could have found a taxi but i was injured and shaken and glad of a friendly person on the phone to sort everything out for me
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Here in Victoria Orstralia our State motorists organisation runs a similar service, details as per the link.

https://www.racv.com.au/on-the-road/roa ... ssist.html

An 80 year old lady that I ride with had a puncture on her through axle disc braked road bike.
All the males in the group attempted to release the axle, without success.
Eventually Helen phoned RACV and a serviceman arrived, the same bloke that fixes your car when it breaks down.
He did his best including a google search on his phone withour success so Helen and her bike got a free taxi ride home.

Mike