Protection from dogs - in India

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Protection from dogs - in India

Post by mnichols »

I'm off to the Indian Himalayas in a few weeks time, and having just had my rabies shots the doctor has warned me about the risks from dogs and other mammals.

Apparently the rabies shot doesn't stop you getting the disease it just gives you more time to get to the hospital

What practical steps can you take to protect yourself against feral dogs?
Chat Noir

Re: Protection from dogs - in India

Post by Chat Noir »

There was a thread on here the other year, with some very helpful comments from people with proper experience of dealing with the problem.

‘Do what the locals do’ is probably the best common-sense advice. The bike can make some form of barrier but dealing with scary dogs is not the time to be sentimental: a dog snarling at your heels as you're desperately pedalling is an unforgettable experience. The only real experience I have is cycling in the Caucasus and dealing with their massive sheep dogs. They are big, fast and, frankly, terrifying. The shepherds all carry stones and use these to threaten the dogs with. This led us to carry stones on our bar bags and threaten to throw them at dogs. Clearly, these dogs had experience of humans and stones and the threatening approach always worked but took us a while to begin to feel less terrified. We only actually threw stones on one occasion, when 5 dogs flew at us (and we’d been warned about this group earlier) but it worked. We also did some very fast pedalling on occasions! I should add that these dogs are there to guard their sheep and they do an excellent job, living alongside them in the mountains. They also make good family dogs – I saw a photo of Putin with one.

If you want to smile at our antics with the dogs I wrote an account of the ride here:
https://yetey.wordpress.com/

Good luck.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

It is not a clear cut thing. Different dogs are doing different things and offer different (or no) threat.

My advice is to try to understand dogs and look for their body language. Some are guarding and you just need to pass; some are after a chase; some won't bother you because they are after a bitch on heat, etc, etc.

I normally talk gently or maybe firmly to the dog - a sort of "hey, hey" said in a non threatening voice.If they persist, I dismount to hold bike between me and dog. I also look around for owner or someone to help. Throwing stones at dogs, or just going through the motions is the locals way, but I rarely have the bottle to do this for fear of aggravating the situation.

Probably my only bit of definite advice is not to try to outrun one unless you are sure you are going to win.

I've spent years cycling in Asian countries and the only injury I have had was in China when a small dog was yapping around my wheels on a slight incline. The owners were watching and I shouted at them. My speed was negligible and I wobbled, fell
off and grazed my knee. The dog owners, and elderly couple, seemed completely unmoved.

By the way, I do not like dogs and used to be very scared of them, but this has now passed thanks to finding that attacks by magpies are far more frightening. One phobia is enough.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

We had three sheep dogs looking threatening in Bolivia when walking and the guide picked up some stones ready to throw. I had a dog dazed and when they were about 15 metres away a zap made them stop and a few more and they backed right off. The guide was fascinated with it and she asked to carry it for the rest of the day zapping sleeping dogs and guineapigs in kitchens which I thought was a bit ott but the dazed certainly worked.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Should read dog dazer, sorry.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Chat Noir wrote: these dogs are there to guard their sheep and they do an excellent job, living alongside them in the mountains.

I've come across these dogs - fortunately at a distance, but their deep-throated bark convinced me not to approach! - in the Vercors, and also in the Luberon recently.

Here's a pic of the warning notice - hope you'll be able to read it.

DSCF3431 copy 2.jpg
DSCF3431 copy 2.jpg (115.12 KiB) Viewed 635 times

The fact that there might also be wolves and lynx(es?) at large in the vicinity might be worth bearing in mind!
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

roberts8 wrote:Should read dog dazer, sorry.

Which Dog Dazer was it?
pwa

Post by pwa »

mnichols wrote:
roberts8 wrote:Should read dog dazer, sorry.

Which Dog Dazer was it?

Are they still available? I always wondered if they worked.

As for throwing stones, I imagine it relies on you being a good shot. I once got lucky when I threw a stone at a farm dog here in Wales. It was a metre from my right ankle and I let it get close before aiming my one and only pebble downwards at its nose. And I hit it on the nose. Perfect. I could do that a hundred times and fail, but that day I got it just right and the dog ran back through the farm gates in some discomfort. I felt chuffed, and still do when I think about it. That dog had bothered me on previous occasions, which is why I had picked up the pebble as I approached the farm.

With a truly threatening dog that could do real harm (which may be all dogs in a rabies area) there is something to be said for turning and facing the dog. I've turned and chased a fully grown doberman and it ran off. I've not met a dog that isn't a coward if its bluff is called. If I ever do, though, I'm not sure what will happen...
Gary Ronald

Post by Gary Ronald »

Hello MNichols.
I cycled the whole of India, including the Himalayas, about 5 years ago. Although I had no problems with dogs where you are going I did have some problems further South.
My best advise for you is.. Yes, carry some stones in your handlebar bag, the dogs know and are wary of people throwing stones. Do not pedal faster, this I found excites the dogs, if you do decide to stay on your bike change into a harder gear. I found that it is best to get off my cycle, throw a few stones and walk until the danger has past.
I had a great time while in Northern India, the scenery and people are lovely, the situation with the dogs should not take up your thoughts.
Have a great time.
Gary.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ray wrote:
Chat Noir wrote: these dogs are there to guard their sheep and they do an excellent job, living alongside them in the mountains.

I've come across these dogs - fortunately at a distance, but their deep-throated bark convinced me not to approach! - in the Vercors, and also in the Luberon recently.

Here's a pic of the warning notice - hope you'll be able to read it.

DSCF3431 copy 2.jpg

The fact that there might also be wolves and lynx(es?) at large in the vicinity might be worth bearing in mind!

Can't read it, could you type the text (in English), merci
I would be very wary of throwing stones at dogs or pretending to, the shepherd would not like that
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Ray

Post by Ray »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Can't read it, could you type the text (in English), merci
I would be very wary of throwing stones at dogs or pretending to, the shepherd would not like that

Sorry, thought you may be able to enlarge the pic I posted.

Here are the English sentences, as shown on the notice:

<<There are guarding dogs around, working to protect livestock from predators.
Hikers, please don't disturb the flocks.
Stay calm and wait if you come across one of these dogs.
Please walk your bike if you are riding one.
Keep your dog on the leash.>>
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The throwing a stone thing in India is more of a Pavlovian response thing than the need to hit the dog. I presume that most dogs have been subjected to it, or its threat and behave accordingly.

I personally would be wary of actually throwing anything at a dog, but I have raise my arm in a throwing motion and seen dogs react.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

a lot of americans carry pepper spray clipped to their handlebars, I see you can get similar sprays here from amazon etc..

as a former sniper we used to use cayenne pepper for many things and deterring dogs was one of them.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

50/50 mix of vinegar and water squirted from a bidon at the dog's head works well :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Arguably Tabasco is better? :twisted: