Protection from dogs - in India

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
reohn2

Re: Protection from dogs - in India

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Arguably Tabasco is better? :twisted:

Never tried it but the vinegar worked well for us on the tandem touring in Portugal with roaming packs of dogs on the edges of villages and small towns.
To be clear,I don't give a damn about any dog's welfare that attempts to bite or chase me/us and especially if there's a chance it has Rabies.
Last edited by reohn2 on 4 Jun 2018, 11:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Oh I agree, any dog comes for me and it'll find out that I bite back. Not literally though. :D
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

I did see something where a guy had a catapult and stones in a cup tied to his bars for dogs and kids.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

crazydave789 wrote:a lot of americans carry pepper spray clipped to their handlebars, I see you can get similar sprays here from amazon etc..

as a former sniper we used to use cayenne pepper for many things and deterring dogs was one of them.

Can you take pressurised cans on a plane? Was thinking of a small airhorn on the handlebars
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonhill wrote:The throwing a stone thing in India is more of a Pavlovian response thing than the need to hit the dog. I presume that most dogs have been subjected to it, or its threat and behave accordingly.

I personally would be wary of actually throwing anything at a dog, but I have raise my arm in a throwing motion and seen dogs react.

This. And not only in India, it's pretty much world wide.

I don't know about the Himalayas but urban dogs in India vary enormously from street to street; in some areas they're a real menace, in others they're like pets.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

mnichols wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:a lot of americans carry pepper spray clipped to their handlebars, I see you can get similar sprays here from amazon etc..

as a former sniper we used to use cayenne pepper for many things and deterring dogs was one of them.

Can you take pressurised cans on a plane? Was thinking of a small airhorn on the handlebars

usually as cabin luggage, it depends on whether the hold is pressurised but millions of people take cans away with them.

not sure if an airhorn would do much unless the owner is about, an ultrasonic repellent whistle might be available. I think that is what a dog dazer is about.
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

crazydave789 wrote:
mnichols wrote:

usually as cabin luggage,

NO!!!
Not even as check in baggage.

IATA regs - dangerous goods.
" disabling devices of any kind are forbidden in both carry-on and check-in baggage. "
http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/ ... dance.aspx
That covers cayenne pepper.

Quantas
Forbidden as passenger baggage:

Bleaching agents e.g. laundry bleach
Car batteries
Cook top lighters
Disabling devices (e.g. mace, pepper spray, etc) containing an irritant or incapacitating substance
Electro shock weapons (e.g. Tasers)
Fertilisers
Fire extinguishers
Fireworks
Flammable aerosol cans e.g. spray paint
Flammable gas cylinders/cartridges e.g. butane canisters, BBQ gas bottles
Flammable liquids e.g. methylated spirits, isopropanol
Flares
Hydrogen peroxide
Industrial cleaning products
Insecticides and weed killers
Lithium ion batteries exceeding 160Wh (not including mobility aid batteries)
Non-flammable gas cartridges over 28g e.g. soda stream canisters
Oil based paint
Party poppers (unassembled "make your own" party poppers/christmas cracker kits)
Petrol
Pool cleaning products e.g. chlorine
Security-type attache cases (e.g. cash boxes, cash bags, etc) incorporating dangerous goods, such as lithium batteries and/or pyrotechnic material
Self-balancing boards e.g. hoverboard
Self-inflating life rafts
Sparklers

The "Non-flammable gas cartridges over 28g e.g. soda stream canisters" covers your air horn. You might be able to take it as check in baggage .. talk to your airline.