Belgium

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
yutkoxpo

Re: Belgium

Post by yutkoxpo »

Mitten wrote:Hello,

I'm new to this forum so go easy on me if I say something stupid.....but have a question regarding route planning.

I'm organising a trip for early July; Dunkirk-Ostende-Bruges-Ghent-Antwerp-Brussels (Eurostar back).

The year before last I did London - Paris using print outs of the Avenue Verte but found that quite difficult at times.

What would be the best way to plan the route in Belgium ? I heard the cycle paths are pretty easy to use, so should I just follow a map ?

A couple of my group have the high end Garmins, so is there a webiste I can find the routes to add to Garmin ?......but I read online that Garmin wont differentiate between cycle paths and roads....is this nonsense ?

Also, if anyones been on this route and has advice on riding in this part of Belgium, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys......

-Ricky.

Hi Ricky,
As suggested elsewhere, I'd recommend http://cycle.travel/map to plot out your route.

On the map you'll see recognised cycle routes (long distance) that you can follow or make your own, depending on what interests you.
You can download the routes to Garmins and other GPS units, or print off cue sheets if you prefer. It uses recognised cycle paths and cycle friendly roads, so don't worry about finding yourself on a motorway.

I'd suggest not plotting one route but from town to town. The application tends to route you around towns, so an all-in-one route will bypass some places you may want to visit. Also, this way, you can select the round trip option and automatically have 2 choices from A to B.

Also, if you search on something like RidewithGPS you can find routes made by others. These may, or may not suit your needs.

In any case, navigation in Belgium is not difficult. The difficulty is hitting all the places you want to see! :D

One thing to think about..... Belgium is extremely bike friendly and is a pleasure to ride in, except for the places that are full of tourists who do not know, or care, about bike friendliness. Therefore, approach Bruges with caution! I've been there several times (never on a bike) and it is always packed with tourists! My suggestion would be to head straight to accommodation and park your bikes. Trying to get around on loaded bikes is no fun. And make sure that your accommodation has secure parking for your bikes!!

Enjoy!
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

mjr wrote:http://cycle.travel/map will find many of these, but it is slightly keen on the nodes and sometimes needs a nudge, similar to London (where it's far too keen on the London Cycle Network + IMO).

Slight tangent from Belgium, but I'm always keen to hear of suggestions on this one - London is really difficult because there aren't that many signifiers (based on OSM data) to differentiate a good cycling road from a bad one. I think it's probably the hardest routing challenge anywhere that c.t operates. If you've got ideas, or examples of where c.t is getting it wrong and should do something else, I'm all ears!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
mjr

Post by mjr »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:If you've got ideas, or examples of where c.t is getting it wrong and should do something else, I'm all ears!

I've taken it to viewtopic.php?p=1241292#p1241292
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.