Tenerife

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ChrisF

Re: Tenerife

Post by ChrisF »

Glad you enjoyed Tiede, in spite of the cold descent. I did it in February a couple of years ago, and it was the first day the roads had been opened for nearly 2 weeks after snowfall. Riding in full wam sun between snowdrifts was brilliant!
Chris F, Cornwall
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Great you've posted a followup :D You can see why they filmed parts of Star Wars up there. A magical place.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
toontra

Post by toontra »

iandriver wrote:Great you've posted a followup :D You can see why they filmed parts of Star Wars up there. A magical place.

It truly is! I've spent today exploring some of the small roads just inland from the coast and they are fantastic in their own way - rolling and twisty but with great views of the sea and hills and generally good surfaces and comparatively light traffic.

Thoroughly recommend for a cycle holiday!
toontra

Post by toontra »

Just back from my 5th - and last - trip up Teide (fly home tomorrow). I think I've become slightly addicted to that hill :shock: - there's something about the continuous hours of climbing that flips you into another mindset - almost meditative (if that's not too pretentious :wink: ).

Each time I have been rewarded with crystal clear blue skies at the top, so stopped for a bit of sunbathing in a little clearing off the road. Apart from today, that is, when the cloud went right to the top. On the way down conditions got quite bad again. There were drifts of thick white stuff being blown into my face (mist, cloud, ?) and visibility was down to a few metres in places. Having learnt my lesson from the first ride, though, I was layered up and warm enough to go full pelt when appropriate - up to 45mph on sections.

The only thing missing from these 10 days has been, weirdly enough, sun! Only one whole sunny day, and apart from that just the occasional hour here and there, usually in the morning or evening. Also it rained on 2 or three days. This is not typical, apparently! Warm though - never below 20c even at night. Almost perfect cycling conditions in every way 8)