Tenerife

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cyclebubs

Tenerife

Post by Cyclebubs »

Hi Guys

Started cycling in August last year and majorly caught the bug, I’m travelling to Tenerife in October for a weeks holiday and was wondering if anyone had been and done a bit of cycling whilst over there? Also does anyone have any ideas where I could hire a decent road bike or would I be easier taking my own? Thanks in advance.
toontra

Re: Tenerife

Post by toontra »

Haven't been myself yet but planning to go in September. I usually take my own bike abroad but may hire this time (cheaper flights available if you don't need checked luggage) and a place called Bike Point seems to be highly recommended. Fancy the look of the Cervelo R5's :D
Last edited by toontra on 2 Jun 2018, 11:02am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyclebubs

Post by Cyclebubs »

Brilliant will have a look at bike point just now. Are you planning any specific routes or are you just going to cross that bridge when you come to it?
toontra

Post by toontra »

Will probably plan out a few routes in advance. The Teide climb will definitely be on the list, along with a few easier coastal routes. Doubt either of us will see the pro teams training at that time of year - they will still be recovering from the Vuelta!

I'm sure someone here who's been will be along with some useful suggestions.
Cyclebubs

Post by Cyclebubs »

Thank you much appreciated and I really like the look of the Cervelo R5s.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Just back from Lanzarote.
Amazing roads, and hills.
Good luck with your trip.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
britishjasper

Post by britishjasper »

Bikepoint definitely. Gets busy at pickup & drop off time! Friendly & knowledgeable.
Because I could only ride 1 day I couldn’t reserve bike in advance but dropped in day before ride & all was well.
If you rent for longer price goes down per day. I believe they can deliver to your accom if it’s a weeks rental.
Hope this helps. Enjoy El Teide!
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

toontra wrote:Will probably plan out a few routes in advance. The Teide climb will definitely be on the list, along with a few easier coastal routes.

Choose your route carefully on Tiede. It's the highest point in Spain and the biggest volcano in the word outside of Hawaii. One of the toughest climbs there is. Some routes are far more gradual than others. The Arona route is nothing short of one of cyclings most brutal climbs.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
toontra

Post by toontra »

iandriver wrote:Choose your route carefully on Tiede. It's the highest point in Spain and the biggest volcano in the word outside of Hawaii. One of the toughest climbs there is. Some routes are far more gradual than others. The Arona route is nothing short of one of cyclings most brutal climbs.

Thanks for the warning! Any suggestions for easier routes?
hondated

Post by hondated »

Used Bike point last year great shop with friendly staff.
Seeing the size of me they recommended an electric bike but of cause I declined and had Ridley Fenix instead. Great bike but never managed to get to top of Teide. Mmm perhaps I should of had an electric one :wink:
Last edited by hondated on 8 Jun 2018, 9:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

toontra wrote:
iandriver wrote:Choose your route carefully on Tiede. It's the highest point in Spain and the biggest volcano in the word outside of Hawaii. One of the toughest climbs there is. Some routes are far more gradual than others. The Arona route is nothing short of one of cyclings most brutal climbs.

Thanks for the warning! Any suggestions for easier routes?

I believe this one:
http://www.cyclinglocations.com/teide-f ... -tenerife/

This site lists your options:

http://www.cyclinglocations.com/teide-tenerife/
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
toontra

Post by toontra »

[/quote][/quote]

Perfect! That looks like the sensible one to start with. If the legs are OK maybe try the north or south approach later in the week.
toontra

Post by toontra »

Perfect! That looks like the sensible one to start with. If the legs are OK maybe try the north or south approach later in the week.[/quote]
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

If staying int he South, I used these last Jan

http://www.bike4youtenerife.com/bikes/

fantastic service, quality bikes etc ...

I am a very regular visitor to Tenerife for holiday and now cycling and it is fantastic, I usually stay at Los Gigantes which gives you various ways o climb and the climb to Masca is just stunning ....

If you want any more info then please DM me.
toontra

Post by toontra »

Well, been here for a couple of days so thought it was time to tackle Teide! Just back and am feeling blitzed.

Started from El Medano on the south coast and took the San Isidro / Granadilla / Vilaflor route. It was sunny when I set off at 10am with low winds. About half way up it started to cloud over and I was expecting the worst at the top, but at around 1800 metres I broke through the cloud into dazzling bright blue skies. The volcanic rock formations around the peak looked stunning.

I managed the whole 2230m ascent with out a stop (as 2 bottles turned out to be sufficient) - this took slightly over 4 hours to the highest point in the road where the cable cars go from.

I thought I'd come prepared. Gilet, arm warmers, neck warmer and liner gloves all went on. even though it was hot and sunny at the top. BUT - as I descended I started to get really cold and was shivering after a few minutes. Then, at about 1800m, I went back into the cloud layer and it got even colder.

Just as I thought the worst had happened it started to rain - not hard but enough to throw up spray from the wheels (no mudguards on this trip as no rain on the forecast for the foreseeable future). My hands were frozen in a death grip on the bars with just enough life in them to work the brakes, and the hairpins were hard to manoeuvre as I was being cautious about slipping.

Slowly the temperature rose and the rain eased off, and after an hour I was back down and drinking coffee, slightly bemused by what had just happened but feeling rather elated that the ride, months in the planning, has been done - and it certainly was memorable!

Here for another 7 days so may try another approach at Teide - either from the east or the west, or maybe both!