c2c2c - Hadrians wall

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PeterT

c2c2c - Hadrians wall

Post by PeterT »

Together with 4 others I will be cycling the coast 2 coast and return, Workington / Tynemouth / Workington 10th to 14th June. Our return journey takes us by Hadrains Wall. We would like to stop for a short time at a couple of places to view the wall, but being on road bikes we are not sure of the best places that will not be off road. The route of our return journey on wed 13th takes us from Newcastle - Wylam - Ovingham - Corbridge - Hexham - Newborough - Redburn - Henshaw - Haltwhistle - Gisland - Lanercost - Brampton - Corby Hill - Carlisle. Obviously not much sightseeing time so dont want to stray far off route. Can anyone advise the best places where we can spend a short time viewing this iconic landmark.
Thanks in advance of any replies.
foxyrider

Re: c2c2c - Hadrians wall

Post by foxyrider »

There are some quite accessible bits of wall at different points across to Corbridge (the museum there is worth a short stop,) further along on the Gisland /Lanercost stretch you have the wall alongside the road as well as some bigger remains and cafe opportunities. Then of course there's Lanercost Priory itself before you get back to Carlisle.

Enjoy your shuffle
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
As I remember, best view of wall, only the wall on the high crags exists today.
North of haltwhistle and north of B6318 are several roads that cross the wall, don't go as far as housesteads .
http://www.northern-horizons.co.uk/land ... /572876716
Attachments
HW286H_572876716.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

South Shields (Tynemouth) has the Arbeia Roman fort which is interesting
.....and of course Wallsend which is exactly that
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

You can pop up the road from the Hostel, now known as The Sill, and get a good view from there.
You’ll see the Sycamore gap from the road before you get there and as previously stated you’ll be riding beside the wall later on.
I rode that section just last week in glorious weather which is a bit unusual up there :) I bet getting a posting to Bath must have been promotion for those Roman soldiers.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

Thanks for all your replies. Very helpful. I'll have a look at the places against my route map.
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

Paulatic wrote:You can pop up the road from the Hostel, now known as The Sill, and get a good view from there.
You’ll see the Sycamore gap from the road before you get there and as previously stated you’ll be riding beside the wall later on.
I rode that section just last week in glorious weather which is a bit unusual up there :) I bet getting a posting to Bath must have been promotion for those Roman soldiers.

Just had a look at Steel Rigg car park, just up the road from the Sill hostel, which is slightly off our intended route. Can you get a good view from the car park and is the wall very far from there of do you have to walk far. We do have a backup van that can park there but dont want to stray too far as time is limited.
Thanks,
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

From Steel Rigg car park a 5 minute walk gets you on the wall.
Takes about 15 mins to walk up from the Sill and car parking is free for an hour.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Have you seen this ?
Maybe something in there to help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk2FlnSEwAw
You'll never know if you don't try it.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I recall there was a nice section around birdoswald roman fort
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

Thank you all for your responses. Very much appreciated.
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

Just thought I'd update on our ride.
We stopped off at Steel Rigg car park and walked for a few minutes to view a good section of the wall and took a few pictures. We also rode next to the Vindolanda site where they were excavating Roman ruins, and also cycled the road alongside the wall after Gisland. We arrived in Carlisle Wednesday late afternoon after 70 miles of cycling. Unfortunately storm Hector prevented us from completing the last 38 miles from Carlisle to Workington on Thursday 14th.
Having completed the C2C from Workington to Tynemouth via a route south of the Tyne, then returned along the Hadrians wall route, north of the Tyne, it was a great experience despite not being able to complete the whole route due to storm Hector.