South-West Coastal 300, Scotland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
stephenjubb

Re: South-West Coastal 300, Scotland

Post by stephenjubb »

To Harry D, a well researched and evidence based response. Nice one.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

stephenjubb wrote:To Harry D, a well researched and evidence based response. Nice one.

I’m sorry Stephen I didn’t see the evidence in Harry’s post.
The report I posted said it would create 200 jobs. Harry said there have been 200 new jobs at Grimsby. A very similar number the difference being I would think it takes a couple of years to plan and create a 1.3 million pound project. Harry thinks that time scale isn’t realistic.
The report I posted said it was money secured from Regional Growth Fund handed out from U.K. gov. Harry now tells us the Gov and Young’s say it wasn’t true.

So we can conclude someone was lieing back in 2015 or someone is lieing in 2018. It’s your freedom to believe whichever version you think is credible.
To discuss devolved issues is just a sidetrack from my original statement.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

I know I said I wouldn't post further but to go round accusing companies and people of not telling the truth is a bit much. I don't hold a brief one way or another as to Scottish independence but I do have a deep understanding of how dynamic supply chains work especially in the retail trade and to supermarkets in particular. Three years is a very, very long time in the market especially if time is added to apply for grants and for governments/authorities to process and award. The grant can only be used for the purpose stated, namely training and this grant was tested in the courts. I think there has been an understandable confusion between 200 extra jobs in 2015 and 200 jobs in 2018.

If I were Youngs and I could get 200 Grimsby workers to do the work of 450 elsewhere I would do as would any organisation wanting to stay in business. Employment costs per head are probably similar (assuming all are full time posts I'd guess in the region of £30k/head including salary, pension contributions, employees NI etc). Cost at Grimsby £6 million per year, cost in Dumfries £13.5 million. Saving £7.5 million per year or 2 months for the £1.3 million grant to payback.

I for one don't believe that Scottish workers are any less productive than English or Welsh or Irish ones and neither do I believe in conspiracies between the UK government and major business. I just know how businesses work
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One often reads announcements of plans to "create"* new jobs, sometimes "move" would be the right word
If the plans are abandoned this is not announced so loudly :?

Subsidies, free land etc are often involved

Quite possibly a new farcility could be so much more efficient that the number of jobs might be halved besides being moved :wink:

* create: to make from nothing
Only The Creator can do that
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

This is a cycle friendly SW 300 route
https://sw3004.wixsite.com/southwest300/route
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/