Short Southern Spain trip

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Therealsouthstander

Short Southern Spain trip

Post by Therealsouthstander »

Was thinking about a short tour for around 7 days. We have a few weeks off work from the middle of September and was thinking along the lines of Malaga - Granada - Cordoba - Seville..

We will probably cover around 50 miles per day but can do more if required.

Has anyone done this route before or cycled in the area?

I would be grateful for any route recommendations and advice on what towns or villages we should not miss..

We would like to stay in small hotels or BB's

Many thsnks
HarryD

Re: Short Southern Spain trip

Post by HarryD »

Sounds good. Around 650km over 7 days gives you 58 miles per day mileage. Expect Malaga to Granada to be mountainous so you may loose time there. Granada to Cordoba hilly. Cordoba to Sevilla and on to Moron de la Frontera is fairly flat so you can make up some distance there. Moron back to Malaga is again mountainous.

In September expect temperatures to average in the high 20s/low 30s with clear skies and a high sun it will feel a lot warmer. If so you may wish to set off before sunrise and lots of suntan lotion. As you probably know already the road quality is good and drivers considerate.

There is plenty of accommodation in the centres but you may wish to book for the big cities especially Cordoba which tends to be more limited and expensive. Have a quick look at booking.com. Bike storage generally isn't an issue.

Suggested places. Malaga to Granada have a look at Alhama de Granada. Granada to Cordoba - Baena and Priego de Cordoba although the whole of that Subetica region is worth a look around. Sevilla to Malaga - consider Algodonales, Zahara, Ronda. All are best visited in the evening when the crowds have returned to the coast.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I've done Granada-Seville in late Sept and absolutely agree with HarryD's route . Priego de Cordoba is a good overnight stop. Priego onwards to Cordoba was tough going against the wind I recall!
Therealsouthstander

Many thanks for the replies

I've had a look at the route profile and it looks like a tough one. Hopefully I'm not bitting of more than I can chew for the wife.

How are the hills? Are the steep?, my experience of cycling in Europe is that the hills are not as steep as they are here In Scotland, they just go on and on and.... At least that's what I'm hoping for. On average it looks like 1000ft of climbing per 10 miles
We will most probably finish our trip in Seville and get the train back to Malaga.

Anyway - How does this itinerary look

Day 1 Malaga - Alhama de Granada 51 miles 5, 500 ft elevation gain

Day 2 Alhama de Granada - Granada 35 miles 3,100 ft elevation gain

Day 3 Granada - Caserio de Iznajar 58 miles 4,800 ft

Day 4 Caserio de Iznajar - Priego de Cordoba 19 miles 2,400 ft

Day 5 Priego de Cordoba - Cordoba 59 miles 3,000ft

Day 6 Cordoba to Seville (Will cycle so far then get the train)

Can anyone recommend where we should spend a rest Day or two?

Also, where should we get the train from into Seville? I'm sure the roads will get busier and less enjoyable.

Thanks for any advice
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

As you say the hills generally are well graded in Andalucia. They max out at 50 or 60m climb per km in some of the big mountains

The plan looks fine. I'd decide the train embarkation point on the day. Maybe after a visit to Medina Azahara

What to do on the rest days depends on what you like doing when not cycling. I tend to tire of cities pretty quickly so for me a rest day would be a walk in the hills probably at Iznajar or Priego. The three big cities tend to get very crowded with day trippers but tend to be quieter, and cooler, but still lively in the late afternoon and evening. I've enjoyed my time in all three. If you plan to visit the Alhambra remember you must book your tickets and time slot in advance.
Therealsouthstander

Hi again

What generally would be the max gradient percentage wise on the climbs. I've got a little convincing to do :)
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

The roads have been upgraded over the last couple of decades and are usually well graded and typically top out at 5 to 6%. It is the sheer length and warmth that gets to you if you come fresh from the UK. You may come across 9 or 10% for short periods but nothing like those hills you have all over Scotland. If they are a bit much simple take regular but short breaks.

I recently did Palomas from Zahara (788m over 12.7km or 6.2%) and El Boyar from El Bosque (833m over 14.7km or 5.7%) which are recognised as pretty challenging climbs that are not on your itinerary and the gradient didn't vary by more than 1%. I've also done those hills on fully loaded tours without any problems.
Therealsouthstander

Sounds good to me. Yeah you're right in saying that the hills up here can be brutal. I'm heading over the Lecht ski station tomorrow. Part of that climb is over 25% in places. 90 miles and 8500ft of vertical climbing. Hopefully the weather stays good.

Places to chill in Andalusia - Caserio de Iznajar looks like a place we could spend a few days. We like small places where their will be a few restaurants with good food and wine, this is essential.

Priego de Cordoba looks quite nice too.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

First time I went we flew in and out of Gib. I now have friends who live near Malaga so my tuppenth'orth

I assume you are looking at Malaga Colemnar to Alhama Granada, it is a bit of pull initially out of Malaga, but steadies down to a long steady climb. After that we went up through Alfarnate before cutting across to Zaffaraya and Alhama, my recollection is of a lovely green valley. After that the road is quite exposed and open but fairly traffic free.

I would consider having time off in Granada, it is a lovely city, we just headed for centre and found a hostal, it wasn't far from the cathedral area, we had no problems accommodating the bikes, and there were some nice places to eat. We noted how whole families would be out at night, several generations and there appeared to be no drunkeness issues that you might find late in a major English city (or town). We never felt unsafe.

It's a shame you route doesn't take in the Randa area...which is spectacular.

We did not go as far north as you are heading, we went across to Osuna and Moron de la Frontera before heading south again. Osuna was lovely and we had a great adventure in Moron. With nothing booked my strategy was to aim for a town and find accommodation, my t'other half having not toured before was a little more doubtful about this method and liked to check his mapping to see if any hotels were listed. Osuna had plenty of hotels and we generally if one was shown to exist there was usually more than one. It was also festival time in Osuna so we had a great evening.

Moron similarly had a hotel listed, we arrived in town and could find none except a sign which kept pointing us out of town.. with nothing else we headed in direction and found something that from the outside looked like a 50's American road house.... but inside was glorious. Accommodation and breakfast was available but evening meal was not; options were have a takeaway delivered!!!!! Instead we asked for a taxi to be booked (we didn't the unlit 2km walk along a mainish road), asked to be dropped off at somewhere to eat... ok might have been his cousins or whatever... and again did not look much from the outside... but had an extensive menu which was wonderful.... and we were well looked after. If thought it was surprising the lack of accommodation as it had a bullring and adverts for the next meeting etc., and with an American airforce base on the route to Sevilla we would have expected more accommodation.

On the whole though we found all the towns had something of interest to explore and had a great time.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
whoof

Post by whoof »

I am currently in Granada.
We flew to Malaga on the 1st and stayed near the airport as,we,had a late night arrival. We were planing to go to Ronda on the first day but an excursion down a motorway in the wrong direction and thunderstorms with hail meant we stopped in Yunquera. The road from Yunquera to Ronda was excellent and we really enjoyed Ronda which included swimming in the cats cave waterfall. Also brilliant tapas, 80 cents a plate and great quality.
We backtracked to El Burgo and then headed for Alham a Granada the first 30km was hard lots of climbs 15-20%.
Granada is really nice we are at a campsite 10km away with a regular bus. If you want to visit the el hamb ra you need to book online in advance.
Today ride up Sierra Nevada to 2600m until it sno we'd and back down again
Tomorrow we are going to gaudi x and are staying in a cave house. £31 for a three bedroom house from booking.com
No problems with the weather the hot e s t it's been is 30
I'm writing this on a tablet with predictive text which automatically changes a lot of words to near gibberish
Therealsouthstander

Well that's the flights booked so that's a start.

Looks like we may have to rearrange our itinerary to include Ronda and the surrounding area. Any tips on must cycle roads and must see villages would be appreciated.
Whoof - Sounds like an epic trip so keep us posted.

On our days off, we will spend a day or 2 in Granada and Ronda and at least 3 in Seville.
We would like to chill somewhere in beautiful countryside not far from a good tapas bar/restaurant.. We definitely like peace and quiet so again, recommendations would be welcome

Many thanks
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

Like Woof we spent a night in Yunquera but because it was too hot to continue

Fairly close to Ronda nearly every village has a reason to visit. Probably the prettiest with a good selection of cafes, bars, restaurants and accommodation are Grazalema and Zahara de la Sierra and to a lesser extent Setenil de la Bodega (only in terms of limited evening eats though). Naturally these can be quite busy. Otherwise plan your route through many others and stop if you feel like it. Ubrique has its charms but is fairly industrialised so may not appeal

My favourite roads is the A372 south and east from Grazalema especially though the cork forest on the ridge. Its relatively short. For a longer ride get the train from Ronda to Jimena de la Frontera and ride to Cortes de la Frontera via the Puerto de Gallis and train it back. Best check the timetable first
Therealsouthstander

Many thanks Harry, I will check out your recommendations.
toontra

Post by toontra »

whoof wrote:Today ride up Sierra Nevada to 2600m until it sno we'd and back down again

That's what happened to us a few years back. Late June and a heatwave in southern Spain with 40c at sea level, yet the Sierra Nevada still impassable with snow so had to come back down & re-route.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Have now returned and have a computer that I can type with.

In addition to my earlier post. Other places of interest were El Chorro the walk through the canyon looked like it was amazing if you have a head for heights. We viewed it from the ground having camped at a nearby lake. The road from here East/NE was very hard going, no flat & lots of steep climbs.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... lucia.html

We cycled into Granada from the South West. The 'roads' for the last 10 - 15 km were marked no differently than any others but were a collection of gravel and the most pot-holed tarmac I've ever seen. Slow going but we only saw one car, a 4 by 4 going about 10 kph.

The climb from La Calahorra on the A-377 was lovely no more than a dozen motor vehicles in 25 km of climb and decent.

If you want somewhere quiet then perhaps try Laroles. We staying in the campsite and on the first night there were 8 people at the site and the second 5.
The main entertainment in the village was a man walking his 3 goats home for the evening. The stars looked wonderful due to the lack of light pollution. The campsite has tipees and cabins for rent and the owner is very helpful.
http://www.campingalpujarras.es/
We did two rides fro there one a loop to Cherrin, Laujar de Andarax and Baryacal (take the left down the canyon about 500 m after the village to avoid going all the way back up the mountain.
The ride west via Valor to Trevelez is beautiful and we a saw car every half an hour.

The weather was great. One two hour downpour of heavy rain and hail on the first days riding (we stopped at a café and had coffee and tapas until it eased and then stayed in a hotel) and other than that it was in the low to mid 20s in the first week and then between 25-30 in the second week which I find a nice temperature for riding.