Euro Velo 5

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Joanne30

Euro Velo 5

Post by Joanne30 »

Has anyone completed any or all of the Euro Velo 5 route from Canterbury, UK to Brindisi, Italy?
My partner and I are looking to do the route in reverse on our way home from a couple years spent in New Zealand (flying to Italy, not cycling all the way!).
We would also possibly add on the rest of our journey home to Lancashire but should be able to figure out the UK stretch easily enough or at least find public transport where necessary.

I am aware the Euro Velo routes are not complete and in the case of No.5 not even started in part but if anyone has done the route or one similar I would appreciate advice. As I am not a very experienced road cyclist, I am concerned about being on the EuroVelo route then suddenly being spit out onto a motorway or somewhere I shouldn't be and being shouted out by motorists.

We will likely get to Italy in May 2019 so I know this is early but planning for flights, route planning, bike purchase, etc is important.

Thank you.

p.s. this is my first post on the forum so please let me know if this is not the correct area/topic.
ossie

Re: Euro Velo 5

Post by ossie »

I haven't done any of EV5. However I've done EV15 from Holland to Switzerland, EV 6 across France to Germany and parts of EV4 and EV1.

As you say the Italian part of EV5 is in its planning stages so fits in with my general advice, which is to simply use the Eurovelo routes as a guide in conjunction with a decent route planner such as http://cycle.travel (which is much discussed on here) and /or maps.

Even the dedicated long standing Eurovelo routes have some real anomalies and poor signage in many places. In some places they are excellent, the Rhine route for example where you really cannot go wrong and sections of EV6 but in others you will ponder why they sent you 14km off route and 250 feet up a hill until you realise they want cycling traffic to go past their Patisserie or supermarket.

Treat any route with an open mind but utilise a cycle planner or maps as well.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Shouted at? That only happens in the UK. I was down in the heel of Italy three weeks ago, and Italian drivers – despite the bad press they get – are invariably, in my experience, careful and courteous, especially, but not only, around cyclists. Riding in Naples, for example, I didn't see other cyclists (except on the bike route along the prom), so took my cue on road etiquette from the many scooter drivers. And basically, you can do anything: ride on the pavement, wrong side of the road, wrong way round roundabouts, cut across in front of people – nobody bats an eyelid, and everyone stays cool and relaxed. I acquired habits that would get me honked at, shouted at, and tbh quite likely killed, in the UK. I'm working hard at unlearning them!

Route-wise, I wouldn't expect too much of Eurovelo 5, but it's not difficult to construct your own route. I used bikemap.net, and found it excellent – though of course you need to check where it's sending you, e.g. sometimes it'll send you on quite a detour to avoid a 'main' road that's perfectly nice and quiet. There was the occasional place where there was no alternative to a busy dual carriageway, but only for the odd couple of miles. Don't forget to check the height profiles: parts of Italy are very flat, but most of it is very hilly.
Joanne30

Post by Joanne30 »

nirakaro wrote: Shouted at? That only happens in the UK.

Unfortunately I've had a few negative 'reactions' whilst cycling in New Zealand so thought maybe it was standard everywhere, not just here and UK. Good to hear positive reports of Europe.

nirakaro wrote: I wouldn't expect too much of Eurovelo 5, but it's not difficult to construct your own route. I used bikemap.net, and found it excellent – though of course you need to check where it's sending you

Thanks, I will look up bikemap.net. Maybe EuroVelo5 will just be a guide for now, luckily got a while to plan!
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

[quote="nirakaro"]Shouted at? That only happens in the UK.
Got blaring horns and shouts when we inadvertently strayed onto a cars only main road south of Dreux.
Also got abuse in Argeles-sur-mer ( I didn't realise that there was an adjacent cycle path )
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I've toured in Italy, Austria, Croatia and Slovenia. Italy has the most discourteous drivers, but not as bad as I've seen in UK, France or North America.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

nirakaro wrote:... I acquired habits ... I'm working hard at unlearning them!

:cry:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

MarcusT wrote:I've toured in Italy, Austria, Croatia and Slovenia. Italy has the most discourteous drivers, but not as bad as I've seen in UK, France or North America.

I thought people said that French drivers are generally considerate towards cyclists?

Ian
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

MarcusT wrote:Italy has the most discourteous drivers, but not as bad as I've seen in UK, France or North America.

Interesting - discourteous how?

And if the Italian drivers are the most "discourteous", how are the UK, France and North America worse?
Sweep
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Sweep wrote:
MarcusT wrote:Italy has the most discourteous drivers, but not as bad as I've seen in UK, France or North America.

Interesting - discourteous how?

And if the Italian drivers are the most "discourteous", how are the UK, France and North America worse?

Discourteous means they'll ride a little too close. While touring, I could almost always tell which country was passing me by how close they were, Italy was always the closest.
UK, N.A. France? Drivers there will run you off the road. That is not discourteous, that is criminal.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I've just come back from a conference in Milan and used the 'dockless' mobikes to get around. Absolutely amazed how tolerant and courteous Italian drivers were - light-years ahead of any UK city, even Cambridge or Oxford. I took the lane on occasion (more out of habit than anything else) and drivers would wait patiently behind. Some good segregated infrastructure too!

(Only grumble: why does the mobike zone stop just short of Linate Airport? Seems like a huge missed opportunity...)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

My experience in Italy is limited to a rectangular area between Austria & Grado & Verona.
Quite a few roads because I was following my nose as opposed to researching specific biking routes.
I found the Italian drivers to be extremely courteous, if a little schizophrenic. By that, I mean I usually got a toot of a horn (on quieter roads) to give me a heads up that a car was approaching from behind and a wide berth. But the same car could do some crazy overtaking manoeuvre further down the road.
I also saw a difference between driver behaviour in the towns and on the road between towns. Sometimes the towns were a bit crazy! :D

I'd go back in the morning.

France was a dream from a traffic perspective. Spain was a wet dream :D

I've ridden extensively in Germany & Austria with, I think, one issue with a grumpy old man who was frustrated by roadworks and was trying to belt down my side of a narrow road. I was surprised by a few close passes in Switzerland, of all places. Nothing too serious, but unexpected.

My bigger issue is peletons. I despise the buggers. No bells, passing on both sides, far too close.

For anyone worried about cars passing too close consider a "Distanciador" . http://distanciador.com/en_GB

I have one. Light, robust and pretty effective. Mine has taken dogs abuse and is still going strong. Here in NL, I use it against the wannabe racers.

There definitely is an issue in some English speaking countries of conflict between cyclists and cars.
The fact of the matter is that there are a-holes everywhere. Some of them even ride bikes! Passing a horse on the inside, anyone?

If I get a fright, or have a bad experience, I prefer to pull up where I can and occupy my mind with something else. I might have a snack, brew a coffee, take a photo and let the negative moment pass. I don't want to keep going carrying the negative baggage. I have enough to carry as it is! :D

To the OP, EV5 is a line on the map. It is not developed in the same way as other EV routes. You will, effectively, be planning your own route in terms of what roads to take. You might find this helpful https://www.biroto.eu/en/cycle-routes

Bon voyage!