Getting Bicycles from Edinburgh to Marseille

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Colgrenfell

Getting Bicycles from Edinburgh to Marseille

Post by Colgrenfell »

I'm sure this has been asked a few times but I'm still unsure from what I have read.. Looking to have a holiday in the Marseille area. We will get the bikes down to London and then Eurostar to Paris.. that bit seems easy, but apparently it's not possible to take bikes (even in a bike bag) to Marseille on a direct service. Would we have to change in Paris and then keep bikes in bags on TGV down to Marseille, and do the same on the reverse journey? Have not enjoyed the stress of flying with bikes in the past.. Could drive all the way down to Marseille but I'd rather not.. Can anyone offer any advice?
MrsHJ

Re: Getting Bicycles from Edinburgh to Marseille

Post by MrsHJ »

Difficult one. I have taken bikes on the TGV prebooked on a single train but I was reading that the rules have changed.

I quite liked the regional service trains where taking bikes involves less hassle and I've travelled some amazing routes with the bike (e.g. LE Puy to Ales) but in all honesty a route involving 3 trains for you (and maybe more once you mix the bike in) is probably more hassle than flying with the bike.

Last time I took the bikes on trains just across Brittany it was a huge level of hassle. My kids did brilliantly and it went smoothly but I wouldn't recommend it. Cycled from ferry to train station at Roscof (son had meltdown at small hill that he blasted through 10 days later on the way home) where there was one local service we had to wait ages for (I'd have Cycled that section but couldn't really ask my 8 year old to), then transfer on stairs and pack bikes for a TGV which we'd prebooked the 2 adult bikes for and there was no space for the kids bikes but they fell within normal luggage size restrictions. I think we put the bikes in CTC bags for that bit. There was plenty of space for all 4. Then we had to change to another regiOnal train which again involved getting all 4 of us up from one train (busy platform, steep stairs, limited lift capacity that everyone wanted) and down to another (same), and getting the bikes into a different format (unpacked for hooks) on a momumentally busy train. Everyone was very nice but it was pretty blinking stressful and at the end of the route there were a load more stairs to deal with for bikes and luggage. Obviously there being 2 kids added to the stress and my autistic son was ok but definitely not a fun journey.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

TGVs between Paris and Marseille don't take bikes. TERs (slower regional trains) carry bikes, free, with no hassle. You'd need to make one change at Lyon. It's pretty stress-free, apart from the time involved - about ten hours.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I've done this with a bike bag (not usually a problem on tgv) from Calais via Lille. Lille has the advantage that the Lille europe station is very close to Lille Flanders and it's only a short walk between the two - usually I've come into Lille Europe and only had to change platforms. Paris on the other hand means crossing the city from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon.
Eurostar has this weird policy of bikes being dispatched separately - whereas tgv allows bikes in bag as normal luggage as long as it conforms to size limits ( I think 120 x 90 ) - obviously you have to be prepared to do a bit of bike dismantling and reassembly to do this.
From your start point I guess Eurostar is simpler - it goes to Lille but I'm not sure about bike deliveries.
There are two ways to get assembled bikes to Calais. Southeastern rail allows bikes without restriction outside rush hour.
Ferry of course - or the tunnel bike shuttle from Ashford which is quicker but less frequent.
There are tgv that carry assembled bikes - not sure of the availability on your route but it's fairly easy to check the sites.
I think also given the length and complexity of your journey you may need an overnight stop.
I'm not a fan of the Bike Bus but if it's schedule suits it may be a better option.
Or fly :(
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Have not enjoyed the stress of flying with bikes in the past..

I fly quite often and don't find it at all stressful as long as you do your research. Your other options seem far more stressful.

I normally fly long haul, but am going Easyjet next week. I have booked for bike, which will be in a good strong box. If you don't scrimp on packing I don't see the problem. Also, I'm not trying to cram as much luggage into the box as possible as I have booked my panniers (lashed together) as hold luggage.
Colgrenfell

Post by Colgrenfell »

Have bitten the bullet and booked with easy jet.. many thanks to the forum for taking the time to reply. I'm working down in London either side of our hols so it's Gatwick to Montpellier for a bit of a camp and a poodle around.. if anyone has any advice all is gratefully received!
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

The last time I flew with Easyjet from Gatwick it was an early morning flight and there was an arrangement to book in hold luggage ( my bike) the night before.
I got a cheap deal at the adjacent Premier Inn - which was better than paying for long term parking.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

ANTONISH wrote:The last time I flew with Easyjet from Gatwick it was an early morning flight and there was an arrangement to book in hold luggage ( my bike) the night before.
I got a cheap deal at the adjacent Premier Inn - which was better than paying for long term parking.

Interesting and sounds really useful.

I wonder if they do the same at Bristol?
peterdpusey

Post by peterdpusey »

Just flown back into Gatwick with Easyjet from Budapest with my Thorn Raven Tour having cycled there. First time I ever boxed a bike and had to make the box from a box which had protected a chair (I had tried 4 cycle shops for a bike box with no luck). It went like a dream and my bike was the first luggage to come round on the carousel followed by my bag. I took one Pannier on the plane as cabin luggage the rest of stuff and the other pannier went into one roller top bag as hold luggage. I didn’t let any air out of my tyres and assembled the bike and was cycling away from Gatwick in less than an hour of touching down, however it took me the best part of a day to sort the box out and get the bike in. [emoji23]