Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Post by Sweep »

al_yrpal wrote:Sweep it occurs to me that those Midlands Spoons you enjoyed on your canalside trip may have been serving Banks's beers. They used to be one of our software customers and I visited the Banks brewery often. Inside they had a training pub where new Landlords learned the basics. The beer in that pub was to die for which in my experience you dont find in Bank's pubs where people are so often quaffing that excuse for proper beer.. Lager. The fast turnover in any pub offers a better chance of enjoying a decent pint. With their massive success ensuring rapid turnover its all part of Tim's Spoons's magic formula I guess?

Al

I fear you will give me a reputation al - I didn't stop at any pubs in the midlands - it was the middle of the night then and nothing was stirring - though I think from looking at the spoons highlighted on my offline OSMand I drift very close to a few, particularly in Stafford. I stopped at one pub only, the one in Bury, north of Manchester. Have very rarely drunk anything from Banks and when I have, from memory, been severely underwhelmed. As you say/imply, a good chance of getting some excellent beer in a spoons - as has been stated upthread, some folk seem to have a serious case of selective memory about the beer drinking experience of old. An awful lot of terrible fizz was served up to people.

Thanks to folks for the other tips - new areas of the country to explore - by bike.

edit - was in the spoons in Rochdale yesterday though not on a bike- interesting old picture palace. No bike parking nearby - council remodelling the town centre and the square on which the spoons sits but despite the space no bike parking provision. You could sit outside the back (free access) and fasten your bike to the pub railings in view, though it's not a terribly nice spot and you would miss the pub's interesting interior. Spoons in my experience won't usually send food to outside tables either. By the by the pub had a very fine selection of beers on offer - one of the barmen was looking forward to developing his "product knowledge" at the end of his shift.

edit edit - some of the seats in this pub, as with a fair few recent spoons refits, have power sockets and USB sockets at the table. Very convenient indeed for touring cyclists of course.

I really must get round to contacting spoons and suggesting that they highlight sheffield stands and power/usb points in their pub listings.
Last edited by Sweep on 12 Oct 2018, 3:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Sweep, I would agree on Banks's beer in ordinary pubs, underwhelming. Thats why their own training pubs beer in the brewery was such a surprise. Living in SWales for years all you could get was Birmingham beers which often made me feel ill. I think part of it is the soft water which has no minerals and comes largely from NWales. Moving back to the South East after 5 years of awful beer was a revalation, I vividly remember that first decent pint…

Disadvantages of night touring, no cake shops and no pubs! Still Spoons do open for breakfast…

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I was at the Wycombe Swan theatre yesterday to see the all men Swans Matthew Bourne production of Swan Lake - absolutely amazing! The Falcon, a Weatherspoons nearby is a nice place with a little terrace at the back with handy iron railings surrounding it to securely lock up your bike right in the town centre. One can wander off to enjoy the delights of Wycombe. Didnt go in the Falcon because I didnt want to drop off during the performance..

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 12 Oct 2018, 4:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

al_yrpal wrote:I was at the Wycombe Swan theatre yesterday to see the all men Royal Ballet production of Swan Lake - absolutely amazing! The Falcon, a Weatherspoons nearby is a nice place with a little terrace at the back with handy iron railings surrounding it to securely lock up your bike right in the town centre. One can wander off to enjoy the delights of Wycombe.

Al

I hope you took advantage of it - beer fest at the moment - pints in thirds to sample - very civilised.

I can recommend the Daleside Morocco:

This from the brewers:

"Daleside Morocco Ale is a strong dark spiced and mysterious ale with plenty of taste brewed to a secret recipe dating back 300 years to the time of Elizabeth I."

I fear the beer has brought on a large dose of modesty - or something - did a double-take and then a double-check and the poor woman has been dead well over 400 years.
Sweep
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Sweep wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:I was at the Wycombe Swan theatre yesterday to see the all men Royal Ballet production of Swan Lake - absolutely amazing! The Falcon, a Weatherspoons nearby is a nice place with a little terrace at the back with handy iron railings surrounding it to securely lock up your bike right in the town centre. One can wander off to enjoy the delights of Wycombe.

Al

I hope you took advantage of it - beer fest at the moment - pints in thirds to sample - very civilised.

This from the brewers:

"Daleside Morocco Ale is a strong dark spiced and mysterious ale with plenty of taste brewed to a secret recipe dating back 300 years to the time of Elizabeth I."

I fear the beer has brought on a large dose of modesty - or something - did a double-take and then a double-check and the poor woman has been dead well over 400 years.

Guy comes into small pub (5 real ales) and starts ordering beers and ciders

Young lass explains they don't have all 30 of the beers, just a selection.... guy goes ballistic, demanding to see manager, then has another tirade

Then demands that he should be given the ones they do have free in compensation for his disappointment and inconvenience!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Uh?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes i'm mystified too.

Drugs?

Some form of "post modern" arty reworking of old comedy routines?
Sweep
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Sweep wrote:

Al

This from the brewers:

Yes, the craft beer scene started a century ago :wink:
More pub jokes please
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

The Wetherspoons in Perth served us well on a recent Lejog.....Sat outside having breakfast by the river
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Nickeveson wrote:The Wetherspoons in Perth served us well on a recent Lejog.....Sat outside having breakfast by the river

Sounds nice. Did you have a sinful breakfast beer?
Sweep
atoz

Post by atoz »

I had the worst hot chocolate I have ever tasted in 'Spoons. Which is ironic when you consider that when you use a vending machine for a drink, normally the best option is hot chocolate.

However, I have other reasons for not patronising Wetherspoons. One is their industrial relations record- see https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/04/wetherspoons-strike-poverty-wages-hospitality-sector

Also there is the small matter of the owner of Spoons is a hard line supporter of brexit. Given why people are prepared to strike who work for them, I suspect there is a good reason why Mr Spoons wants Brexit. It doesn't take a degree in economics to work that one out. see https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/wetherspoons-boss-tim-martin-pub-tour-no-deal-brexit/

I prefer to use locally run and owned cafes. They might well cost more, but at least you are supporting local small businesses. Yes I know Spoons prices are very reasonable. So are Mcdonalds, and I don't patronise them either.
PH

Post by PH »

atoz wrote:However, I have other reasons for not patronising Wetherspoons. One is their industrial relations record- see https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/04/wetherspoons-strike-poverty-wages-hospitality-sector

I prefer to use locally run and owned cafes. They might well cost more, but at least you are supporting local small businesses. Yes I know Spoons prices are very reasonable. So are Mcdonalds, and I don't patronise them either.

Good luck to those fighting for better terms and conditions, but the article you link to doesn't make the case that Weatherspoons are any worse than anywhere else, just that the staff of large chains may be better positioned to take effective industrial action:
Our demands are simple: a minimum of £10 an hour for all workers, and the proper recognition of our union, the Bakers Food and Allied Workers Union (BFAWU). Although these demands seem simple, they’re about ensuring that everyone who works in pubs, bars or restaurants has what they need to live a happy life.

Bar and restaurant work has always been poorly paid, maybe you should ask around those pubs you do use and find out what staff are being paid, I expect it's rarely more than the legal minimum.
Rather than singling out businesses, we need a political framework that minimises exploitation, I won't hold my breath and agree that Brexit is likely to make that even less likely.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

In some ways this could actually be a positive with Brexit!

With the xenophobia about immigrant workers that has become a feature of Brexit, reduced immigrant workforce and the uncertainty for those still here, there will be a crisis in the industry that may even result in higher wages to attract staff
atoz

Post by atoz »

PH wrote:
atoz wrote:However, I have other reasons for not patronising Wetherspoons. One is their industrial relations record- see https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/04/wetherspoons-strike-poverty-wages-hospitality-sector

Good luck to those fighting for better terms and conditions, but the article you link to doesn't make the case that Weatherspoons are any worse than anywhere else, just that the staff of large chains may be better positioned to take effective industrial action:
Our demands are simple: a minimum of £10 an hour for all workers, and the proper recognition of our union, the Bakers Food and Allied Workers Union (BFAWU). Although these demands seem simple, they’re about ensuring that everyone who works in pubs, bars or restaurants has what they need to live a happy life.

Bar and restaurant work has always been poorly paid, maybe you should ask around those pubs you do use and find out what staff are being paid, I expect it's rarely more than the legal minimum.
Rather than singling out businesses, we need a political framework that minimises exploitation, I won't hold my breath and agree that Brexit is likely to make that even less likely.

The thing about big companies is they can afford to pay their workers more- they make a lot more money. Yes local pubs and cafes will pay poorly, and that's not great, but at least you are supporting a local business. As for work in the hospitality industries- in Europe often jobs in this area have more status and can pay better. That's what the boss of Wetherspoons wants to avoid- just like some others in the British hospitality sector. No wonder he wants a hard Brexit.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

May one tip at Wetherspoons to help the poor workers?

Many businesspeople avoid expressing political opinions, that could be best to avoid alienating 30-50% or more of possible customers/guests/patrons :wink:

Most rich people are probably tories, everyone knows that, right?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies